Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

dave berg

Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve

Post by dave berg »

About $17 at H-Mart, Federal Wy. Wa. This has a bland table wine nose, and a flavor about like that too, but it is very enjoyable. It reminds me of the Santa Medina port from Healdsburg Ca., a petite syrah port, which was much more complex and intriguing. It has a nearly opaque blackish red color. It may be a bit sweet, but is nicely balanced by a notable alcoholic bite, with some tannin. I'd say it's a bit simple, not cloying at all, but yet big in the way that a few glasses seem to be enough. I enjoyed every sip, but I think most members of this forum would say it's a bit routine, as I thought.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Taylor Fladgate First Estate Reserve

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nice note. If I'm not mistaken, recent bottling of this have gotten decent reviews By folks here. Similar to yours in the enjoyment scale.

The important question, would you buy it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Nice note. If I'm not mistaken, recent bottling of this have gotten decent reviews By folks here. Similar to yours in the enjoyment scale.
Yes indeed. It has been a few years, but Taylor's First Estate won our blind Ruby Reserve Taste-off. It surprised pretty much everyone involved.
Glenn Elliott
dave berg

Post by dave berg »

Andy Velebil wrote:Nice note. If I'm not mistaken, recent bottling of this have gotten decent reviews By folks here. Similar to yours in the enjoyment scale.

The important question, would you buy it again?
Hi Andy--no I probably would not buy it again--as I already know what it tastes like. I'd recommend it with the caviats I gave. Good question--what actually would I buy again? What is exceptional and intriguing enough to me? Not much, even though I've enjoyed many, but not in the $30 & up range as I'm afraid I'll buy it and be disappointed. Another vintage of Woodbridge Portacinco would be for sure, or another Santa Medina port. Cockburn's 10 year is my all time favorite, and I'd buy it again, but not all the time. Roy recommended Quarles Harris--and I'd try another one of those as it's been a few years. I had a Quinto de la Rosa years ago that was most notable, and I'd definitely try another. I'll look on the Taylor Fladgate First Estate to see if it has a date.