Thanksgiving...What Are You Opening?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Thanksgiving...What Are You Opening?

Post by John M. »

I know this question only applies to the USA folks. What are you opening?

I cannot decide between a 1994 Ramos Pinto VP or an older tawny, thinking 1985 Kopke Colheita. Think the latter may go better with the traditional desserts.
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Re: Thanksgiving...What Are You Opening?

Post by Thomas V »

John M. wrote:I know this question only applies to the USA folks. What are you opening?
I have been celebrating Thanksgiving since 2010 with family and friends, turkey, corn bread, gravy, mash potato, cranberry sauce, banana cream pie and of course the 3 x NFL games and I am Danish [d_training.gif]
John M. wrote: I cannot decide between a 1994 Ramos Pinto VP or an older tawny, thinking 1985 Kopke Colheita. Think the latter may go better with the traditional desserts.
I will host a Ramos Pinto vertical tomorrow which includes 1997, 1994, 1994 Evramoria, 1991, 1985, 1984, 1983, 1982, 1980, 1975, 1970, 1945, 1926 and 1924. I will let you know how the 1994 is holding up.

For Thanksgiving I will be serving a 1997 Sandeman Vau (For the meal) and a 2007 Dalva White Colheita (For the dessert)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1963 Grahams or Dow most likely.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As the family isn't Port drinkers and the younger generation who are now just of age drink only cheap beer I'll be sticking to inexpensive Trader Joe's bubbly and perhaps a not too expensive Douro wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

If I get the chance to hit a Total Wine or BevMo before the big day, I was thinking of getting a... MADEIRA.

(That thud you just heard was Roy fainting.)

Probably RWC New York Malmsey if I can find one, but I'm open to other suggestions (just stay on the sweeter end of the spectrum). I'm intrigued by the idea of trying Madeira with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner... seems like it should go pretty well, seeing as that's likely what all the founding fathers were drinking at the time!

If I can't find anything, then I'll open an S. Leonardo 40 year old. No one ever complains about that. 8--)
Glenn Elliott
Houston Porter

Post by Houston Porter »

Any suggestions on a port that would go well with Dungeness crab? (In our area, it's a tradition to have Dungeness with Thanksgiving dinner.)

I have been loving the Taylor Fladgate 2011 LBV with holiday meals, so we'll crack on of those open too. (We just tested this alongside Taylor's Vintage, Grham's Vintage and LBV, and Symington's Vesuvio Vintage also all from 2011 and the Taylor's LBV came in second place, and at $18 is a steal of a deal.)

Because it so impressed us, especially for the price, we'll likely open at least a bottle of Kirkland's 10yo tawny for guests after dinner. (I drink port with my meals (..and before my meals), so I'll likely have some along with the Taylor's LBV.) So far, we've shared it with several non-port drinks (I know, why are we even friends with them???), and they have all wanted more, even the non-wine drinkers.

Once the crowd thins out, we'll bust out the left overs from last weekend, which include half bottles (half a bottle, not actual "half-bottles) of Sandeman 40yo, Krohn Colheita 1968, and Burmester Colheita's from 1980, 1983, and 1985. (the wife says we need to use up some of our port collection, so I'm trying to accommodate her.)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Houston Porter wrote:Any suggestions on a port that would go well with Dungeness crab? (In our area, it's a tradition to have Dungeness with Thanksgiving dinner.)
Do you have any old White Port?

I opened a 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco last night and I think it would go with Dungeness crab very nicely.

(Another Premier Cru bottle, FYI.)
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:1963 Grahams or Dow most likely.
Just opened a '70 Dow VP for tomorrow.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For the Thanksgiving meal itself, (5 adults) maybe a VP for dessert, likely hours later. No decisions yet.

The day after though, I am hosting a Burg & Bordeaux dinner. I am considering opening a 1945 Croft (only remaining bottle) or a 1957 Malvedos VP, which is more likely the case, given this year ends with a "7".

I also have my brother in town, so likely will taste a few old Colheita samples with him tonight and tomorrow.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Houston Porter

Post by Houston Porter »

Glenn E. wrote: Do you have any old White Port?
I've never been a big fan of White Port, but haven't had too many and those were mostly dry ones, and dry isn't something I'm fond of. However, yes, I do have a couple bottles of white in my collection, although I'm guessing the Kopke Lagrima is going to be on the dry side. Then again, maybe dry will work with crab. I also have a bottle of Andresen's 10 Year Old White Port that I've been wanting to try. We love everything else from Andresen's so hope the white pulls through.

Thanks for the suggestion, and have a great Thanksgiving!
Houston Porter

Post by Houston Porter »

Glenn E. wrote:(Another Premier Cru bottle, FYI.)
It sounds like that was the buy of the century. I wish I had been around for that one.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Quinta do Vesuvio Porto Vintage - Excellent showing. I brought this to a Thanksgiving dinner not because I thought it would pair well with anything in particular, but because it was suggested I bring whatever I like to drink, and this came to mind.

1996 Cálem Colheita Port - This I brought to pair with pecan pie. It was a little fruitier than I would have liked for pairing, but not bad.