What was the TOP Madeira you consumed in 2017?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What was the TOP Madeira you consumed in 2017?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hopefully, this won't be too painful or difficult to respond to!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Re: What was the TOP Madeira you consumed in 2017?

Post by Mike K. »

I’m relatively new to Madeira, and haven’t had anything super old or exotic yet. Given that ...

Henriques and Henriques Malvasia 20yo. A dark, rich beast.
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

I remember being very impressed with the 1981 Barbeito Verdelho R.R.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Well it's kind of cheating, but I got another taste of the 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Family Reserve this year. (Thanks Stewart!) I also had sips of the 1900 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Family Reserve and the 1950 Barbeito Terrantez Reserva Velha Faja Dos Padres. Those last two have been open for over a year on top of my half fridge and you'd never know.

But not counting tastes from "leftover" bottles, I'd have to go with the RWC Imperial Malmsey followed by the RWC New Orleans Special Reserve (original bottling) that Roy opened at the Sammamish Port Club's December meeting, and then the RWC Porto Moniz Malvasia. Sadly I can't find replacements for any of those. I'd stock up on that Imperial Malmsey if I could find it, even at $175/bottle.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Justin wrote:
Come on man, you forget I know where you live. TOP Madeira consumed in 2017. I'd have to call that statement above, "fake news". But it was a good joke. Now what is your real answer Jman?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia at the lodge.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yep, that was mine too, Eric. As much as I loved the 1850 Verdelho, that 1875 Malvasia is next to impossible to beat, unless some Terrantez comes into play. I really do want to taste that 1802 Acciaioly one more time in my life; but two times would be even better.
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

He , he, Roy ... Still have two bottles [cheers.gif]
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

Roy Hersh wrote:Justin wrote:
Come on man, you forget I know where you live. TOP Madeira consumed in 2017. I'd have to call that statement above, "fake news". But it was a good joke. Now what is your real answer Jman?

Come on man. Can't I shamelessly plug our boy Ricardo's new wine?

Seriously though thinking back this years drinking was a bit hollow. I need to get back to work. Obviously, no Moscatel or Bastardos on my list :D Some honorable mentions below:

1886/87 Blandy "Terrantrez-" I was pretty excited to try this but admit it fell short of my expectations perhaps on account of it being very dry. Exciting wine due to its history and the fact we probably drank the last one but it was a stern wine; hard to fall in love with.

1882 Barbeito RR Bual- A thrill ride of a wine, but balanced. Big, but balanced. Probably needs some time in bottle to mellow but a very great wine nonetheless.

1981 Barbeito Verdelho RR- (Mentioned above) This one was special for me because I always have lower hopes for younger wines in terms of complexity. This one, tasted at the winery, really made me more of a believer that younger wines can be as enjoyable as old ones. I dont know what it was about this one, maybe time and place, but it was good!

50 yr HH Tinta Negra- Expensive for the half bottle, but, guys, Old TN is for realz.
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

Roy Hersh wrote: I really do want to taste that 1802 Acciaioly one more time in my life; but two times would be even better.

BM still has some I think. I'm sure he'd love it if we invite ourselves down to drink one.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I really do want to taste that 1802 Acciaioly one more time in my life; but two times would be even better.
I might have one as well. [foilhat.gif]
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Justin A wrote:I remember being very impressed with the 1981 Barbeito Verdelho R.R.
I really hope that you're referring to the 1891! [foilhat.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, I bet guys on this Forum or newsletter subscribers have more 1802 stashed, than the rest of the world combined. Very impressive! :scholar:

:NotWorthy:
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Well, not good at counting, I have three 1802 T.... [kez_11.gif]
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Not to gild the lily, but my favourite this year was the 1802 Acciaioly Terrantez.
This was the finest bottling of this wine so far (for me) - my third sample. The first (when originally 'released') was disappointing, so I didn't buy more. The second, at a Terrantez tasting several years back,was a top wine, but not (for me) tasting of Terrantez, so I marked it way down. This version was served blind to me by a contributor here, and just wowed me - clearly Terrantez and clearly great - so a VERY pleasant surprise. I don't know how long it had been open.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Not to gild the lily, but my favourite this year was the 1802 Acciaioly Terrantez. ... I don't know how long it had been open.
The bottle of the 1802 Acciaioly Terrantez Alan is talking about has leaked in transport - the cork has sunk in. Fortunately, only a relatively small amount of wine was lost. I guess the cork has shrunk to allow some oxygen in a long while ago. The wine has been sitting in a decanter with a very tight lid for about 5 months before Alan's tasting; I have been sipping from it about once a month and have not noticed any significant further evolution yet.

BTW, this is the best madeira I had this year. The bad news is that the number of bottles remaining has decreased; the good news is - it is not my last bottle. Roy, are you keeping count? :D
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

1950 JB moscatel (bottled by Barbeito)

I confess to having a sweet tooth.

If I had not drunk the the 1950 moscatel, my top madeira would have been 1912 D'Oliveira's verdelho, a reliable great experience.
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

Gary Banker wrote:1950 JB moscatel (bottled by Barbeito)

I confess to having a sweet tooth.

If I had not drunk the the 1950 moscatel, my top madeira would have been 1912 D'Oliveira's verdelho, a reliable great experience.

I always like the 1912 d'Oliverias Verdelho.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, it is an excellent Verdelho and always has been, for the past 15+years that I've been tasting them.

And to all the 1802 Acciaioly Terrantez holders ... you know where I live and I'd literally fly anywhere for that wine! [friends.gif]
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

So guys, Who's gonna pull out and 1802 T for Roy and me? Show of hands?