What was the TOP Port you consumed in 2017?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lisa Stevens

Re: What was the TOP Port you consumed in 2017?

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Roy Hersh wrote:As I was around for quite a few of those, my questions are:

a. Vintage Ports - Given the 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio was at the bottom of your Top 5 ... saying a TON ... what was it about the 2000 Meao that you liked better?

b. Tawny Ports - I remember what you gave the 1937 Kopke and 1952 Kopke, so why was that one left out of your top 5?

Not at all meaning to sound argumentative, Lisa, I know you will take this in the right way. I honestly would love to hear your thoughts on this. I know your palate pretty well and respect it a lot! :clap:
I have always had a sweet spot for the 2000 Vale Meao. I liked it so much that I bought three bottles to carry back from Portugal, taking up precious slots in my wine suitcase. The first time I drank it (2014 Harvest Tour) I gave it 95+. This past year, it got 96 points. I love the nose, with lots of blueberries, blackberries and tobacco. The 2000 has great depth of fruit, nice balance, good acidity, and a huge finish that lingers and lingers. I have had it twice and both times, my notes were almost identical. Can't wait to see how it ages!

Looking back at my notes during the Sogevinus tasting at Calem, both the 1952 and the 1937 had similar notes and they were scored 97 points and 98 points respectively. Trying to piece together my decision from my notes, I would have to say the 1937 Kopke had more chocolate notes for me as well as a Dr. Pepper note, which is my favorite beverage. It also seems from my notes that I felt the 1937 was very deep and complex with the finish lasting even longer than the 1952. In short, it was picking a winner among two similar amazing tawnies, and this time, the 1937 won. I know amongst our group, it was a very close scoring with a pretty even split.

-Lisa
Last edited by Lisa Stevens on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I had some amazing (and some dreadful) ports in 2017. I also discovered that weevil has a flavour — and you really don't want that flavour getting into your Port.

Mature Vintage Port
Tied at the top of the list were a couple of bottles from the 1927 vintage. A pristine bottle of Fonseca 1927, bottled by Berry Brothers, was absolutely amazing. It reminded me very much of the Fonseca 1977 we had drunk the previous night but with an added layer of depth and complexity. Poured blind, I would never have got close to the age of this port. 99/100.

The other was a magnum of Quinta do Noval 1927, bottled by Justerini & Brooks. This was opened as part of the 10th anniversary celebratory dinner of the Port Forum and was my wine of the night. Another deep and powerful port which just sang in resonant baritone as it went down. Not even a magnum was large enough for this port. 99/100.

Close behind these two was the house bottling of Taylor 1970 that I wrote about on the Christmas thread. The best bottle of Taylor 1970 I have ever drunk. 98/100.

Young Vintage Port
A clear winner - the Stone Terraces 2015. Quite simply this is the best newly released vintage port I have ever tasted. It had everything; harmony and elegance yet with depth and power where it was needed. I bought as much as I could find but still don't have enough. 98-100/100.

Single Quinta Vintage Port
Another tie, this time between Quinta do Vesuvio 1994 and the surprise of the year, Calem's Quinta da Foz 1958. Both scored 96/100.

Tawny
Quinta do Noval 40 year old tawny was overwhelming in its power and intensity. At 94/100, this just shaded out the Graham 40 year old and the Pocas Junior 40 year old.

Colheita or Garrafeira
The Kopke 1937 colheita was delicious, freshly bottled with a thick texture and immense levels of acidity and concentration. People who know me know that my taste is for vintage port, but if you look closely in my cellar you might find that one of the few bottles of colheita I own is this one. 96/100.

Pink
C'mon, please. Seriously?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Of the 48 bottles of VP I allow myself for home consumption each year, the best performer in 2017 was a Martinez '60. The biggest surprise was a flawless Niepoort '85.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: The biggest surprise was a flawless Niepoort '85.
I have a case of this had one bottle like 5 years ago that wasn't very impressive. Was the first and only bottle I had from the case. Should revisit them.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars