TN: 2009 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel AP #9; A Belated Apology

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

TN: 2009 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel AP #9; A Belated Apology

Post by John Trombley »

2009 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel AP #9; Spectrum Wine Auctions, $49/750 ml; arrived in Piqua 11/9/2017; Premier Cru,7.5 pabv. Coravin/Les Impitoyables-le Taster. Warm straw. On the balanced cusp of peach and diesel and clover honey. Jackie thinks it's very sweet at first; at about 10 minutes it's flowing over with juice and acidity, all flowing from the fauces. Delicate, clean, long, transparent, liquescent. Sadly both the flu and chemo fight the full enjoyment; let's leave this in the 11/7/18 Coravined bottle as we sip on it for a few weeks. 94/100; give it now through 2028.

This is a very ripe Auslese (in terms of degrees Oechsle) but playfullly quaffable. I had heard that the Juffer-Sonnenuhr suggests vanilla, but never really picked up on that; I can see how there is a focus of sesquiterpene concentration in mid-nose and mid-palate that suggests so. Whether there's actually any vanillin or wood in this wine seems to be questionable, but the overall shazamm is not.

It's sad how I get prejudiced against a house, and even one of the greats, from a single delivery of bad wine. I've been off of Haag, never even tasting one ever since I plunked down a lot of money for three bottles of a frankly bad GK Auslese Versteigerungswein (Auction Wine) of 1991 (a mere 27 years ago), so my apologies. i hope I actually wrote them to complain, but can't remember. They deserve that, at least.