Graham's Colheita??

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Graham's Colheita??

Post by Andy Velebil »

See the picture (you may need to scroll it up a little). See something odd? Yeah, that's right that Graham's bottle says "Graham's Colheita". Have they dropped the "Single Harvest Tawny" term and finally embraced the real Portuguese term? Just trying to screw with us Port nerds? Or a darn good old fashion conspiracy :wink: :lol:

The picture was posted on Manuel Cabral's Facebook page. In case you don't know the name, he's the President of the IVDP.
Attachments
Graham's 1963 Colheita.jpg
Graham's 1963 Colheita.jpg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: Graham's Colheita??

Post by Frederick Blais »

Probably just the internal name as employees are portugueses. But then the label takes over with the company's mojo :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:Probably just the internal name as employees are portugueses. But then the label takes over with the company's mojo :)
I'm going with the conspiracy theory [foilhat.gif] [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Probably just the internal name as employees are portugueses. But then the label takes over with the company's mojo :)
We would expect nothing less! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
We would expect nothing less! Image

I see you are too ;) LOL

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think their final labeling should be the white paint pen scribble. I'd buy it. But a lot of other people might not, all the better for me.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm with Eric, I'd buy a bottle like that!
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Do we have a thread somewhere talking about what our favourite labels are? Maybe we should add this one to the list.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Do we have a thread somewhere talking about what our favourite labels are? Maybe we should add this one to the list.
I don't think we do...yet.

I also love the handwritten bottles like that. Though I would hate to be the person who would have to write that on 10,000 bottles :lol:
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

To bad for the no label fans

The best Single Harvest by Graham's in my opinion
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm a stencil man myself.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I guess for stencil lovers ... Kopke or Madeira. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am not such a fan of port bottles taking a Scotch bottle look. Port bottle styling is its own thing and perfectly fine.

Anything that has something hand written denotes something special. I'd like to see more bottles with etching like Herdade do Esporão does.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Andy Velebil wrote:See the picture (you may need to scroll it up a little). See something odd? Yeah, that's right that Graham's bottle says "Graham's Colheita". Have they dropped the "Single Harvest Tawny" term and finally embraced the real Portuguese term? Just trying to screw with us Port nerds? Or a darn good old fashion conspiracy :wink: :lol:

The picture was posted on Manuel Cabral's Facebook page. In case you don't know the name, he's the President of the IVDP.
In just looking at the picture without having read your entire posting, I thought that was your private stash, Andy! :)

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jonathan S wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:See the picture (you may need to scroll it up a little). See something odd? Yeah, that's right that Graham's bottle says "Graham's Colheita". Have they dropped the "Single Harvest Tawny" term and finally embraced the real Portuguese term? Just trying to screw with us Port nerds? Or a darn good old fashion conspiracy :wink: :lol:

In just looking at the picture without having read your entire posting, I thought that was your private stash, Andy! :)

I wish!!

Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Jonathan S wrote:

I wish!!

Me, too! :)

Frederick Blais

Your wishes might have been answered!

Today leaving Porto, the airport shop was offering a Graham's 2003 Colheita, First Flight. The name suggest it might only be available in airports for now. I was told last month that Graham's would release Colheita for young tawny while keeping the Single Harvest for old stuff.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Frederick Blais wrote:Your wishes might have been answered!

Today leaving Porto, the airport shop was offering a Graham's 2003 Colheita, First Flight. The name suggest it might only be available in airports for now. I was told last month that Graham's would release Colheita for young tawny while keeping the Single Harvest for old stuff.
They are releasing a 1994 later this year, and will be calling it Single Harvest, so what is old and what is young?

The first flight is only for aiport shops.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jasper A. wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Your wishes might have been answered!

They are releasing a 1994 later this year, and will be calling it Single Harvest, so what is old and what is young?

The first flight is only for aiport shops.
Fred, how much was it selling for?

Yes, it is in airports only. But the 2003 is called "COLHEITA" on the label. Talk about confusing the heck out of your customers. So now you have Graham's Single Harvest Tawny and Graham's Colheita Port. [dash1.gif] This is another reason why the IVDP needs to change the rules and mandate the term "Colheita" on single vintage tawny's. The lack of consistency, even from the same producer, is confusing to anyone not on our level.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 8.03.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 8.03.48 AM.png (155.58 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
Frederick Blais

I don't remember, I should have taken a photo.