What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gerwin de Graaf

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1977 Pocas Jr. Vintage Port
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Thomas V wrote:A few mentions from this past weekends port wine fair.

20 YO White Palmer
20 YO Tawny Noble & Murat
20 YO Tawny Vasques de Carvalho
30 YO Tawny Blackett
40 YO Tawny Romaneira

2015 Vieira de Sousa VP
2015 Quinta da Romaneira
2015 Quinta de Vargellas
Who are Palmer and Noble & Murat? Not heard of those.
Hi Andy.

They are 2 fairly new brands to the market.

Palmer is owned by Van Zellers I believe and are blended by Alvaro Van Zeller. It is supposed to be their premium brand in a family which includes also Maynard's, Barao de Vilar and Statement.

They currently have 10YO, 20YO, 30YO, 40YO and a Cask 150 in their TWIOA line up. They also have a 2004 colheita, 2014 LBV, 2015 VP and a rosé port.

Noble & Murat is actually mentioned in Roy's 2015 VP report. Paraphrasing Roy they note "Rooted 1831 / Reborn 2016". They own 3 parcels near Vale de Mendiz and Vale do Tedo. The people behind it is Alexandre Botelho and Antonio Taveira. They started up the project in 2012 after they stopped selling their grapes to others houses in 2004. They get help from Jaime Costa with their blends who also is blending Vasques de Carvalho among others.

They currently have a Tawny, 10YO, 20YO, 2012 LBV and 2015 VP.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Ramos Pinto 30 yo Tawny. It smells very rich and has a smooth, full taste.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Opened a bottle of Dow 1975 vintage port this weekend and a bottle of Maynard's 40 Year Old tawny last weekend.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Had a really nice 10yo dry white from Messias,
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2010 Crasto LBV. First thought, it is better than I recall the 2011 tasting. Have one more bottle and not sure where I got them. Not usually a fan of Crasto ports, but so far I am digging this one.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I delivered some Port service training to a restaurant team a few days ago, to teach them a little about the different types of port, what they taste like and how to serve (and keep) them.

I opened Churchill 10YO tawny, Maynard 40YO tawny for the barrel aged ports. I opened Croft 2004 LBV, Vesuvio 2013 and Dow 1963 for the bottle aged ports.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:I delivered some Port service training to a restaurant team a few days ago, to teach them a little about the different types of port, what they taste like and how to serve (and keep) them.

I opened Churchill 10YO tawny, Maynard 40YO tawny for the barrel aged ports. I opened Croft 2004 LBV, Vesuvio 2013 and Dow 1963 for the bottle aged ports.
lucky team.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

S. Leonardo 40 Year Old Tawny Port

I haven't opened a bottle for just me in a very long time. Lately they've all been for game night, or some tasting, or some other event. So tonight I opened a 40 just for me. :)
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

1995 Souza
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Warres VP, 375 ml.
Better than the last bottle, and that last bottle wasn't bad. I may need to buy some more of this in 750 for the cellar.
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Broadbent Sercial 10 yr; 09 Constance; 11 Hugel Grossi Laui Pinot Gris; Castarede Armagnac XO. To be announced: 1970 Fonseca VP Whitwham’s; 1985 Taylor VP; 2003 Warre LBVP; ‘15 MF Richter Spaetlese Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr, the last 5 for Gene the piano tuner (it’s that time again!)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1957 Kopke Colheita, 375ml.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Last night with Phil W, my first ever (I think..) 1954. A Malvedos wine bottled as Harveys own. The worst bottle out of a stash of seven I bought last Xmas, it had a base of neck level.

Phil brought some G63 to compare it to. The '54 was significantly darker in the glass. On the palate it was a joy - but also ridiculously young, with powerful tannins still in evidence.

This wine is barely mature, and will doubtless still be going strong when it turns 100..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:Last night with Phil W, my first ever (I think..) 1954. A Malvedos wine bottled as Harveys own. The worst bottle out of a stash of seven I bought last Xmas, it had a base of neck level.

Phil brought some G63 to compare it to. The '54 was significantly darker in the glass. On the palate it was a joy - but also ridiculously young, with powerful tannins still in evidence.

This wine is barely mature, and will doubtless still be going strong when it turns 100..
Odd year for Port of any kind. How was the vintage that year?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Odd year for Port of any kind. How was the vintage that year?
According to Broadbent, a declaration was considered, but rejected due to low production volumes and the promise of a good result from '55.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I decanted this 1966 Quinta do Noval last night and it smelled and tasted great for the two hours it took 3 of us to finish it. My wife went to bed earlier as she was not feeling well and missed this Port. But she hung in there for the first six bottles of wine.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

for the two hours it took 3 of us to finish it
That's only about two glasses each an hour - must try harder.. :winepour: [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
for the two hours it took 3 of us to finish it
That's only about two glasses each an hour - must try harder.. :winepour: [cheers.gif]
Obviously, he should have opened a second bottle :winepour:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a Kopke 1965 colheita (bottled 2015) for DRT's birthday a couple of weeks ago - it paled in comparison with the Malvedos 1965 we also drank.

And for the Easter weekend I opened a bottle of Tesco 1997 "Finest Reserve" Vintage Port supplied by SFE. No idea which of their brands was in the bottle, but I'd guess Gould Campbell from the flavour profile — deep and tasty.