Things to do near Quinta do Tedo?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Things to do near Quinta do Tedo?

Post by Marco D. »

I will be staying two nights at Quinta do Tedo in June and was wondering about places to go nearby that are open to the general public. Quinta de Naploes is so close and is a gorgeous place (I was there on one of Roy's trips in 2007)... is it open to the public? Any other must-see places?

Regards,
Marco
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Menchen

Re: Things to do near Quinta do Tedo?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Not a winery, but DOC is only 4.2 km away from there.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've been to Napoles and DOC, and recommend them both. I don't know if Napoles is open to the public. It may not be.

I haven't been to Sandeman's Quinto do Seixo, so I can't make a recommendation, but it is open to the public with a variety of tours available:
http://www.sandeman.com/visit-us/douro/quinta-do-seixo
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:I've been to Napoles and DOC, and recommend them both. I don't know if Napoles is open to the public. It may not be.

I haven't been to Sandeman's Quinto do Seixo, so I can't make a recommendation, but it is open to the public with a variety of tours available:
http://www.sandeman.com/visit-us/douro/quinta-do-seixo
I am pretty sure you need a private invitation to visit Napoles. At least I had when i visited in 2016.

Seixo has a stellar view of the Douro, but it is very touristy with buses arriving and loads of people. I wouldn't recommend it.

Other options close by open to the public include (Since you are living close to the main road, these Quintas wont take more than 10 minutes to drive to with taxi):

Quinta do Pego
Quinta do Panascal
Quinta do Bomfim (In Pinhão)
Quinta do Roêda (Just outside Pinhão)
Quinta de la Rosa
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I forgot that DOC was so close by...
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Quinta Nova and Crasto (reserve your visit early) are also nearby. and if you're OK going a bit further away Portal is open for the public as well.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:Quinta Nova and Crasto (reserve your visit early) are also nearby. and if you're OK going a bit further away Portal is open for the public as well.
It's close if you are able to find a boat to take you across the water and someone to collect you at the river bank. Trust me when I say you don't want to walk from the train station to Crasto (or Nova).

A very long drive if you're going by car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

both would be about 30min by car and portal about 50min. i consider that relatively close :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:both would be about 30min by car and portal about 50min. i consider that relatively close :mrgreen:
Have you ever driven there? It's about 35-40 minutes to Crasto from Pinhao. Add in the drive from Tedo to Pinhao prior and your closer to an hour from Tedo to Crasto. That doesn't take into account if you hit traffic in downtown Pinhao these days. Granted that's pretty normal in the Douro, but near an hour drive isn't exactly quick and tends to take tourists by surprise once they get there and they find out things aren't as quick as they thought.

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bert VD wrote:both would be about 30min by car and portal about 50min. i consider that relatively close :mrgreen:
Have you ever driven there? It's about 35-40 minutes to Crasto from Pinhao. Add in the drive from Tedo to Pinhao prior and your closer to an hour from Tedo to Crasto. That doesn't take into account if you hit traffic in downtown Pinhao these days. Granted that's pretty normal in the Douro, but near an hour drive isn't exactly quick and tends to take tourists by surprise once they get there and they find out things aren't as quick as they thought.

the times i mentioned are pretty much how long it took me by car 2 weeks ago. (Portal-Tedo-Napoles) but you are right; Crasto is probably 10min more than what i said. but maybe i drive fast :oops: