My first Rasteau

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

My first Rasteau

Post by Scheiny S »

I’v met someone training as a Sommelier, he’s been interested to learn more about Port “from someone who knows about it” so I’m slowly walking him through some of the basics and some of the low end products.

His wheelhouse is French wine. A few weeks ago he showed me a French fortified wine called Rasteau. I don’t know anything about wine and the only fortifieds i’ve had are the most well known, Port and Sherry, and thanks to this forum I discovered Madeira.
We had one by Cave de Rasteau because it was on sale for $8. He said it was good for that price and would have been worth the full price of $16. It looks like PA only carries a few different bottles and all around that price. Whether those are all low end products or all there is, I don’t know. A quick Google search gave me nothing useful about it.

It was light bodied which isn’t my preference, but fruity and perfectly pleasant. It tasted more like wine than Port does, though I can’t explain what that means. It’s neat to try other types of fortified wine, even if they won’t start a love affair with the style.
Eric Menchen

Re: My first Rasteau

Post by Eric Menchen »

I had not heard of Rasteau, and since it it coming from the Rhône, a region I like a lot, and fortified, which I also like, I may have to give it a try. You can find some wonderful Vin de Paille from around there. I didn't even know they made a Vin Doux Naturel (VDN) in the Rhône. To the west you can find Banyuls and Rivesaltes, both VDN. These can be quite enjoyable, but I often find their oxidation to be at a less optimal level (more oxidized than ruby Ports, but not as oxidized as a wonderful tawny) to my taste.
Randy Katz

Re: My first Rasteau

Post by Randy Katz »

Rasteau sold here is most often Grenache noir, with maybe a few others blended in. Most are not fortified VDN that I have seen.
Used to just be listed as Cotes du Rhone from Rasteau until they were granted their own AOC in the 2000's.