TN - Horácio Simões Moscatel Roxo Single Cask

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

TN - Horácio Simões Moscatel Roxo Single Cask

Post by Mike K. »

If anyone knows the age of this wine, please chime in!

Color - Dark brown, cloudy and turbid. Significant sediment in the bottle. Unfiltered and seems to be pulled from the bottom of the barrel.

Nose - Bold, full of esters, prunes/figs, brown sugar, molasses, strawberry, salted caramel.

Taste - Huge range of flavors, full rich mouth feel. Burnt caramel, prune juice, black cherry, strawberry. Brown sugar and butter sauce (think banana's foster). The acidity comes in late and lasts through the finish. Could use a bit more acid to balance out the sweetness.

Finish - Long and sweet, some acid bite.

An amazing wine, so full rich and raw. Perhaps not as focused and refined as an older single vintage, but so wild and rambunctious. An excellent value. 94 points.
Eric Ifune

Re: TN - Horácio Simões Moscatel Roxo Single Cask

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think it may be the same wine I tried at the Domaine in 2015. If so, it was bottled in late 2014. Wholly from 1977 fruit. This was turbid with a lot of sediment as well. I thought it well balanced with a lot of concentration. Maybe lacking a wee bit of complexity. I gave it a 93.
Where did you manage to find it?
Mike K.

Re: TN - Horácio Simões Moscatel Roxo Single Cask

Post by Mike K. »

Eric Ifune wrote:I think it may be the same wine I tried at the Domaine in 2015. If so, it was bottled in late 2014. Wholly from 1977 fruit. This was turbid with a lot of sediment as well. I thought it well balanced with a lot of concentration. Maybe lacking a wee bit of complexity. I gave it a 93.
Where did you manage to find it?
Thanks for the info! The packaging says nothing about the origin of the wine, just the understated comment that it may throw sediment. And a 'sharpie' handwritten batch number on the bottle.

I found it at one of the smaller Garrafeira Nacional's in Lisbon last month.