Decant time recommendations.

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Decant time recommendations.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Hello All,

I'm bringing some Vintage Port down to a weekend get together at the shore and I'd like some recommendations for decant time. The port will be drunk sometime around 9:00 PM on two separate evenings. Two bottles a night with 1 back up 40 year old Tawny if one of the bottle's is flawed.

I'll decant each bottle into a clean glass pitcher, wash out the bottle and then immediately decant it again back into the bottle. The bottles I'll be bringing are as follows:

2000 Graham's
1994 Fonseca
1977 Taylor Fladgate
1963 Croft

I'm thinking for the Graham's 8 hours. The Fonseca 12 hours. The Taylor Fladgate 12 hours (last time it took awhile for this one to open up) and maybe 4 or 5 hours for the Croft? What does everyone think? And should I leave the bottles unstoppered after I decant it back into the bottle to help it open up better? Thanks in advance for your advice.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Decant time recommendations.

Post by Glenn E. »

Your times all look good for a normal decant, but what you're describing is a "splash decant" into a decanter and then immediately back into the bottle, and that generally needs more time. I don't have a good feel for exactly how much more time, though.

That said, if you leave the bottles unstoppered those times will probably work. Might want to increase the 2000 Graham a bit. 10-12 hours sounds more correct to me for that Port.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Re: Decant time recommendations.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thanks Glenn. That's a good recommendation about leaving the bottles unstoppered. This will be a good learning experience. Thank you again.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes