TN: 2008 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2008 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

Have had many these of since my first tasting note April 2011. This vintage is basically holding up a steady level of around 92 pts.
Decanted 3 hrs. Dark purple colour with a light rim. Fresh, pleasant aroma with a combination of fruit, oak and minerals, Medium to full body. Taste is fruity with hints of minerals and oak. As for all vintages I have tasted of the Crasto Reserva so far (all 2004-2015) also this one is well-structured and having a nice acidity/sweetness-balance. More ripe fruit than previous vintages at this stage, but still more dry towards the end. Medium length aftertaste 92 pts.
Mahmoud Ali

Re: TN: 2008 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Sounds like the 2008 is doing well at 10 years. My 2003 wasn't in the best shape at the ten year mark. Since you've had the Reservas from 2004 to 2015, I was wondering if you have noticed vintage variation and maybe winemaking style playing a role in cellar development?

Cheers .............. Mahmoud.
Rune EG

Re: TN: 2008 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

At Crasto they say they work very hard each year to make the Reserva recognizable for the consumers. In general they are making a style which works well. However, harvests are differant, and that can be noticed for the 2008 (latter being more ripe and fruity).