Bottle colour

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

Bottle colour

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Why brown coloured glass for canadian market and green colour for the states [shrug.gif]
Attachments
20190104_191007.jpg
20190104_191007.jpg (131 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Bottle colour

Post by Andy Velebil »

I resized your picture. I think it's more because of the different years.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Txs for resizing
The reason I asked is because I was a fiberglass operator in a manufacturing plant for 20 yrs
Through trial and error we were able to determine that the voltage increased with brown glass (harder to melt)
Unfortunately we would receive bulk shipments of glass
This made it difficult to control the melting process
Or maybe it comes down to what type of glass was available at the time
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

The main reason is natural sunlight changes the structure
It also causes a wine to age faster
Plays havoc with tannins :scholar:
Modify's the anti-oxydants
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The color doesn't really affect the opacity of the glass, though it does affect which colors of light go through. I've seen very light and very dark bottles in both brown and green.

I'm sure Andy is right, though. I doubt any of the producers use different glass for different markets in the same year - they mostly bottle it all at once and ship it wherever it is needed. (For "bulk" Ports at this level or lower, anyway.) So the color difference is most likely because that's the color of glass that was available (read: least expensive) in that particular year.
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Glenn E. wrote:I'm sure Andy is right, though. I doubt any of the producers use different glass for different markets in the same year - they mostly bottle it all at once and ship it wherever it is needed. (For "bulk" Ports at this level or lower, anyway.) So the color difference is most likely because that's the color of glass that was available (read: least expensive) in that particular year.
I've noticed the last two years Sandeman and Fonseca Ruby Reserves went on sale the lowest all year. When they were restocked, the bottles were a new color.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

It's been discussed before but the 1985 Graham's came in two different bottles, black and green. No explanation was offered but apparently it was even seen at the lodge.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:It's been discussed before but the 1985 Graham's came in two different bottles, black and green. No explanation was offered but apparently it was even seen at the lodge.
It was wasn't uncommon to see older VP's in different bottles, bottled by the producer. This usually was a result of the producer having a hard time sourcing the same bottles from the same glass supplier for the entire bottling run. Off the top of my head, I can't recall that being the case since the late 1980's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com