Not just any ordinary TAYLOR's Vertical Tasting!!

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Not just any ordinary TAYLOR's Vertical Tasting!!

Post by Roy Hersh »

You will NEVER see a more thorough lineup than this in America!!

100 Years of Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port Tasting

Sunday February 3, Hotel Bel Air, 12 Noon. Black Tie is requested - Tuxedo
-----------------

These vintages are included;
1890, 1908, 1912, 1920,
1924, 1927, 1935, 1942,
1945, 1948, 1955, 1960,
1963, 1966, 1970, 1977,
1983, 1992, 1994, 2016

Guest of honor, Adrian Bridge, CEO of Taylor Fladgate

Perfect provenance: All Ports from Don Schliff’s cellar that have not been moved for 35 years. He is one of the most prolific Port collectors in the USA and at one time was one of the kingpins @ Wine Warehouse in LA. Don used to also import PORT wines for them.

The old Ports will be opened with Port tongs starting at 10:30

A Champagne reception with passed hors d’oeuvres will start at 12 noon.

The Ports will be served in flights along with a five course lunch orchestrated by Wolfgang Puck.

Price is $1650.00 per person inclusive.

Please indicate your desire to attend by email. Payment is due by January 25.

To register, email Don directly: donschliff@gmail dot com and mention FTLOP. (No financial interest or involvements from your humble narrator).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Not just any ordinary TAYLOR's Vertical Tasting!!

Post by Glenn E. »

Where? It says Hotel Bel Air, but I don't know where that is. I'm guessing Los Angeles? :D
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Perhaps I should invest in a tuxedo. :D
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wish there was more notice on this, I would've loved to attend. There's 4-5 vintages I have never tried on the list.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:Wish there was more notice on this, I would've loved to attend. There's 4-5 vintages I have never tried on the list.
+1 I do have a tuxedo, but need a little more advance notice.
On the flip side, we had a great Taylor vertical a few years ago in LA. We didn't have all those older bottles, but we had many more vintages and overall the bottles were probably better than these will be. Oh, and the chefs rocked too!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

These older bottles have not moved in decades. I've been to quite a few of Don't tastings over the years, (written articles for The World of Fine Wine) and while there has always been at least one corked bottles, for the most part the provenance is seriously excellent.

The included meals look pretty great too. Yes, it is in So. CA, Glenn, just outside of Hollywood, in an old and famous property that really needs a good renovation. There are a couple of great boutique and little known hotel properties in the area with reasonable prices. But yes Eric, a tux is the investment. That being said, Don held a Noval event last fall that was more relaxed in terms of the dress code. These used to be less frequent, but as we age, we all realize you can't take 'em with ya.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com