Port with no Selo

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Port with no Selo

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here’s a First I’ve not seen before. The Selo on the back label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Port with no Selo

Post by John M. »

Noooooo.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Interesting, a first time for me seeing that as well. Would preserve the serial number much better than on the neck.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will try to find out what precipitated this change by the IVDP. As soon as I hear back, I will include the info here.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Roy Hersh wrote:I will try to find out what precipitated this change by the IVDP. As soon as I hear back, I will include the info here.
I think the option for the selo to appear elsewhere like this has been in the rules as an option for a while? Am fairly sure I saw examples of this when I was looking up about the "selo-cap" as used on some in-flight port miniatures.

As to why Taylor have decided to go this route now instead of the "over-the-top" style selos, I would guess it's a cost vs application process issue, though would be interesting to hear from TFP on whether this is anticipated to be the strategy for all formats and styles in future.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The over-the-top Selo is what makes Port stand out on the shelf for me. Without it, Port is just another wine like all the rest.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think the option for the selo to appear elsewhere like this has been in the rules as an option for a while? Am fairly sure I saw examples of this when I was looking up about the "selo-cap" as used on some in-flight port miniatures.
Yep, IF you count 8 months ... a while. IVDP wrote me back quickly.

Nice hearing from you.
There is a change in the law now, and you can use the seal as you have seen. This was a decision of the Inter-professional Council.
Please find attached the laws (in Portuguese) regarding this subject. The decree 6/2018 says that “Selo Cavaleiro” it’s not mandatory. The “despacho” mentions what are the approved models of selo.
I hope this helps.

Roy adds:
(Despacho = office).
If you'd like me to translate the rest of the regulation to the best I can, if people are further interested. I am happy to do so.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Zak Romaszko

Post by Zak Romaszko »

It seems to have even made its way to the full vintage selection. What has come of this world?
IMG_20190213_213654.jpg
IMG_20190213_213654.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 597 times
IMG_20190213_213718.jpg
IMG_20190213_213718.jpg (117.01 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Sorry if the image has come out weird.

Moderator Edit: fixed image sizes for you.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Yep, IF you count 8 months ... a while. IVDP wrote me back quickly.

Nice hearing from you.
There is a change in the law now, and you can use the seal as you have seen. This was a decision of the Inter-professional Council.
Please find attached the laws (in Portuguese) regarding this subject. The decree 6/2018 says that “Selo Cavaleiro” it’s not mandatory. The “despacho” mentions what are the approved models of selo.
I hope this helps.

Roy adds:
(Despacho = office).
If you'd like me to translate the rest of the regulation to the best I can, if people are further interested. I am happy to do so.
A little bit longer ago, though not much; February last year (document here: https://www.ivdp.pt/pt/docs/legislacao/418.pdf), though I did think I was remembering from before that, so perhaps it might have been a draft/discussion document rather than the published regulation. Or I'm just confusing it with looking at the bottle-top selo specification a few years before that...
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Boo hiss!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:The over-the-top Selo is what makes Port stand out on the shelf for me. Without it, Port is just another wine like all the rest.
Tradition for tradition's sake can be a good thing.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars