Advice on Travelling With Port to Open

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Advice on Travelling With Port to Open

Post by John M. »

We will be spending part of Christmas about 90 miles away. I wanted to bring a few bottles to enjoy but am concerned about bottle shock. Just curious what strategies you employ for this situation. Cannot really open at home (splash decant) since we'll be there several days.

My thought was to take an 1983 Smith Woodhouse, a 1995 SW Madelena and a 2003 Warres LBV.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Advice on Travelling With Port to Open

Post by Andy Velebil »

If you can leave them standing up on the trip and try to minimize the shaking (outside of normal driving) then leave standing when you arrive, you should be fine.

If possible, open and decant prior if possible, the one bottle you intend to consume on the arrival day and open the others like normal.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Thank you!
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I'd keep the bottles in the interior of the car to not fluctuate the temperature too much. Those are hearty ports; you'll be fine.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

So how did they turn out? Did they survive the trip well enough?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
John M.

Post by John M. »

The 95 Madelena was double decanted (back into the bottle), then traveled and was fine--I've had this several times and no discernible difference.

The 1983 SW was okay---but not having had it before not sure if traveling was the issue.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For future reference, IF bottles are IMPORTANT for a tasting or special event:

Ship them a few weeks or a month ahead of time. They will settle and should be left in a cellar or cool place with no light, preferably standing up.

Another alternative, that I find is a great savior for travel, with Ports that do not need to be part of a horizontal or vertical ...
Bring Tawny or Colheita Ports. For me, they seem to be much more resilient than older Vintage Ports. Young VPs don't seem to show as poorly as old ones can.

:twocents:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com