Fonseca Vertical

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Shawn Denkler

Fonseca Vertical

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I own twelve vintages of Fonseca with six of them being great vintages from 1920 to 1955 in excellent condition. I have a chance to buy a 1900 Fonseca that is in great condition for its age. But I hate to spent $1850 to add it to a vertical tasting without knowing if enough people are interested in attending a tasting.

A tasting of sixteen Fonsecas from 1900 to 1977 would cost about $1000 per person for a one and a half ounce pour. I find this much port can be shared at a tasting which reduces the price greatly. Or the tasting can be done with two ounce pours that can be split if desired. This would be "only" $700 for a one ounce pour.

How many people are interested in a great and expensive tasting like this? I am not sure where the tasting would be held, but it seems more people would travel to the west coast than the other way arounld.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Fonseca Vertical

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm interested! I'd need to know more about it to be sure (vintages included, location, etc), but it sounds good so far. Sounds like another road trip down to Napa for me!
Glenn Elliott