FTLOP Anniversary Tasting - early warning!

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

FTLOP Anniversary Tasting - early warning!

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi everyone,

It's time for the annual FTLOP Anniversary tasting, and this year we've decided to go back to forum signups. Since it's been a while since we've done it this way, we wanted to post a warning to let you know that the signup post will be going up on May 1 at approximately noon Pacific time. (I'll be posting from work, so it might be noon, or 12:02, or 12:05, or the website might crash because everyone is frantically hitting F5 repeatedly... who knows?)

This year's tasting will be on Saturday, July 27, at Daniel's Lake Union and is going to be less involved than the last few years, in part because there aren't a lot of Port vintages that end in '9'. There will only be the one official tasting. The theme will also be simple - bring a Port (either VP or Colheita) that is from 1963 or earlier, a Very Old Tawny Port that is at least 60 years old, or a Madeira from 1960 or earlier. 750 ml bottles, please - if you only have 500 or 375 ml bottles please bring two. Please also bring a bottle of red Portuguese dinner wine to share at dinner in the adjacent room as we've done for at least the last few years.

FTLOP staff will be having our annual face-to-face meeting on Friday night, but I suspect that anyone else who is in town will be able to arrange a separate gathering. It's also possible that there will be something arranged ad hoc on Sunday, but Roy and I will not be setting that up so any arrangements for Sunday will be done separately.

Again, this is not the signup thread - you will need to post in the thread that I'll put up on May 1 at noon.
Glenn Elliott