Has anyone been to the Wines of Portugal Tasting room?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Has anyone been to the Wines of Portugal Tasting room?

Post by David Spriggs »

Has anyone been to the Wines of Portugal Tasting room (ViniPortugal) in Lisbon or Porto?
The Porto tasting room is on Rua das Flores. I guess it used to be in the Palácio da Bolsa in the past.
http://www.winesofportugal.info/pagina. ... ode=132027
Will W.

Re: Has anyone been to the Wines of Portugal Tasting room?

Post by Will W. »

I know, or at any rate have been to, the tasting room in Lisbon. What would, you like to know?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Will W. wrote:I know, or at any rate have been to, the tasting room in Lisbon. What would, you like to know?
Is it was worth visiting? Was it a good selection of wines (low to high end) or mostly a low end selection? How was the hospitality?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I went to ViniPortugal in Lisbon once a couple of years ago. Decent place. Large room with the nitrogen dispensing system. You got a card, placed money on it and used it to dispense tastes of wine. Maybe 30 or 40 different wines. Mostly inexpensive ones, but a few higher end ones. I'd go back.
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

My apologies, David, for the tardy response. Indeed, 'tis just as Eric characterises the place: well organised (user friendly, if one will); the wines tend towards the lower-end, though that is no bad thing in Portugal; and the set-up will afford you the possibility to try different regions, styles and grapes with a minimum of fuss. Well worth a visit, if you have not already mastered the wide range of wines available in Portugal, with the central location very near to the river meaning that you are not going to be taken out of your way. If you will be in town during the tourist season (basically, May through September), you are likely to find the place rather choked with tourists. A more intimate option, with a higher-end selection by the glass, would be here (though you would want to book a table):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BA+Wi ... -9.1453873

Let us know how you get on. I live in Lisbon although, owing to my work, do not get out all that often and am always keen to learn of new possibilities.