Port for my 3 boys

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Miguel Simoes

Port for my 3 boys

Post by Miguel Simoes »

My boys were born in 2012, 2014 and 2015.
Wanted to get each a case or two of the banner VP from their birth year.
Are there quality VPs from those years?
Thomas V

Re: Port for my 3 boys

Post by Thomas V »

2012 - Quinta do Vesuvio VP
2014 - Quinta do Noval VP
2015 - Split declaration so quite a few options here. My choice would be between: Niepoort, Quinta da Romaneira, Ramos Pinto or Cockburn's. (If you feel crazy you could go for 3 pack of Graham's Stone Terraces)

Enjoy with your sons in 20 years time.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I like Thomas' recommendations. Several of those came to my mind. Crasto also made a 2015, but I might be biased towards that since I had a hand (well two feet) in making it.

My general reaction to your question is that, yes, there are some quality Ports for these years. They are not stellar premier wines (but who knows, maybe we'll be surprised some day), but it certainly is worth setting some aside.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

2015 Graham's The Stone Terraces is an outstanding Port. It's not quite to the level of the 2011 or 2016, but there really aren't many Ports that can reach that level. The 2015 would likely be a solid contender for Wine of the Night at any tasting. It's a 94-96 point Port to me.

So while you'll pay 2x - 3x over a "normal" Port to get one, it's probably worth it for this purpose.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Why not buy a mixed case from any given year? Possibly 3 or 4 different ports so they can experience a wider variety of what's out there.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Thank you guys for your suggestions!
2015 Stone Terraces I'll have to pass on - too much $$ and that kid would def be in for diff treatment vs the other two... either he'd have much fewer bottles or have been gifted a much greater value.

Isn't it amazing how Port and people age in such a parallel way? Baby fat, turbulent teens, transitioning in the 20s and 30s... reaching maturity in 40-50s, followed by eventual decline. All wines different in their specific aging timetable just the same way that people age differently.