A day in the Douro + motorcycling around Porto?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike C
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States of America - USA

A day in the Douro + motorcycling around Porto?

Post by Mike C »

[yahoo.gif] Guys! Guys! I finally get to go to Porto! I've been a site member for over ten years now and I'm finally going! [yahoo.gif]

My wife, a scientist, gets invited to conferences all over, and this July she'll be in Porto. (I get to go along as the companion animal.) Her schedule will keep her busy most days, so here are the activities I'm looking for advice with.

1. Day in Douro. We'll be able to spend an afternoon at Graham's in Gaia, and we'll also be able to take one day to get into the Douro, so I've read up on recommendations from threads in this forum. Now, we prefer to walk or bicycle when possible and fun, so what small or family wineries can you all recommend within ~30 min walk/bike ride from the Pinhao station? Quinta do Bonfim...probably Quinta de la Rosa...any others? It might be nice to try, say, three of them in the day; and if there are additional products involved, such as olive oil, all the better.

2. I'm a very experienced* motorcyclist and will likely rent a small-to-mid-sized bike for the days I'll be on my own. As many of you are expert Portugal travelers, can you suggest a few scenic routes and destinations as round trip day trips from Porto? I'm interested in taking things slow, seeing some history (but not too much), and possibly some birdwatching thrown in. Would like to eat well but won't be drinking while on the bike.

* A term here meaning, "middle aged" :wink:

Thanks all! [notworthy.gif]
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: A day in the Douro + motorcycling around Porto?

Post by David Spriggs »

Awesome! From Pinhao, Quinta do Bonfim and Quinta de la Rosa are walkable. If you go to Bonfim, you can easily get to Croft's Roeda.
http://croftport.com/en/visit-us/quinta ... ro-valley/
Or, you could also visit Quinta das Calvalhas, which is right acroos the river
https://www.realcompanhiavelha.pt/

If you go to Quinta de la Rosa, then you might be able to visit Quinta da Foz.
http://www.quintadafoz.pt/qdf/pt/who-we-are.html

I have also really enjoyed that "touristic" boat ride up the Douro. It's amazing!

I'll think about the motorcycling trips. I will say that I have enjoyed going up to Ponte da Lima. You could also go to Bairrada (Great roast suckling pig). I think that many people would say to go to Aveiro.
But I will say that there is plenty to see in Porto and Gaia if you have never been there.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

David Spriggs wrote: I have also really enjoyed that "touristic" boat ride up the Douro. It's amazing!

I'll think about the motorcycling trips. I will say that I have enjoyed going up to Ponte da Lima. You could also go to Bairrada (Great roast suckling pig). I think that many people would say to go to Aveiro.
But I will say that there is plenty to see in Porto and Gaia if you have never been there.
I will also admit to enjoying the tourist boat trip, but if you have limited time and you do want to visit quintas, that may not work out.

Personally, I really enjoy walking around Porto, and sometimes take the metro in one direction and walk the other. I'm not sure that motorcycling around there would be all that worthwhile. For getting out of town, that may be different. I have heard good things about Aveiro, but haven't been. Other people have also mentioned Ponte da Lima. For day trips from Porto I've gone to Guimarães and Braga, for which I took the train in both cases. Guimarães qualifies on the history front, and has a quaint little city center as well.
Mike C
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike C »

Thanks so much gentlemen!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I will add, July in the Douro can be very hot. So plan accordingly and drink plenty of water during the day. Bike riding or walking may not be fun for any moderate duration in the middle of the afternoon.

Have fun, riding a motor up there should be quite the experience. I keep talking about doing it but haven't yet.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com