1985 Grahams

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bill Spohn

1985 Grahams

Post by Bill Spohn »

1985 Grahams Port – this was excellent, still dark with clear edges, sweet walnut and fig in the nose plus a faint hint of allspice, and on palate it seemed less sweet (translation – better balance or acidity?) than many Grahams Ports. Good length and without the heat one often sees. Good show. As someone said, ‘If you don’t like this wine, you just don’t like Port!”
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 Grahams

Post by Glenn E. »

One of my favorite Vintage Ports, and in my top 3 for the entire decade of the 1980s (along with '85 Fonseca and '87 Vargellas).
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I adore this vintage port [yahoo.gif] . For me it is the best mature port at the moment from the 80's (So I exclude the F85 since it is nowhere near the same maturation as the G85)
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

It's great to see a good tasting note on this wine. It is stupendous. I have seen other tasting notes that are not a good showing. But I tend to believe that there was bad storage or a bad cork involved with those. All of my bottles have been wonderful!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I have several bottles of this but haven't tried it yet. I do have the Fonseca '85 which I've tried and loved. Thankfully, I have several bottles of that left. Recently I acquired a bottle of the '87 Vargellas and I'm trying to decide when I should have it.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Vargellas can be a long lived wine. I had my last bottle of the 1967 late last year and it was excellent.

For some reason I didn't buy the 85 Fonseca, but I did get in on the 94 (and I still have some 63 in the cellar). Nice long lived Ports.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote:Recently I acquired a bottle of the '87 Vargellas and I'm trying to decide when I should have it.
No rush. Like the F85, the TV87 has decades ahead of it.
Glenn Elliott
Blair Curtis

Post by Blair Curtis »

Hey Bill,

Was that my bottle? I really enjoyed that one! If I recall correctly the decant time on that bottle was about 6 hours at cellar temp.

Cheers,
Blair
Cheers, B.
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Blair Curtis wrote:Hey Bill,

Was that my bottle? I really enjoyed that one! If I recall correctly the decant time on that bottle was about 6 hours at cellar temp.

Cheers,
Blair

It was indeed, Blair and a great bottle it was!