Where to stay in Lisbon?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

Where to stay in Lisbon?

Post by Mike K. »

I'll be in Lisbon for a couple days at the end of May. (tacking on a couple days at the end of the Fortification Tour)

Looking for recommendations for an area of the city (and hotel) to stay in.
Since my stay is brief, I'm looking for a central location where I can minimize travel time as I see some highlights of the city.
Would like to mostly walk around - but some short Uber rides are OK.
I'd like a nice hotel, but not overly expensive. A nice included breakfast is a huge plus.

Looking to see:
* Outdoor views and scenery
* Architecture / history
* Cafe's and restaurants
* A great wine shop if my suitcase isn't full
* Not overly interested in museums

Extra points if the ride to/from the airport is not awful.

Thx!
Eric Menchen

Re: Where to stay in Lisbon?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I can't recommend a hotel, as AirBnB is my preferred option. But I can say that the Lisbon metro will get you around pretty well, and it connects to the airport. Last time I was in Lisbon I took the metro to an apartment next to Martim Moniz. I took the metro sometimes, and other times I walked.

As for a wine shop: Garrafeira Nacional
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Garra ... -9.1372669
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

I stayed at the Lisboa Carmo hotel in Chiado in December. I like the location, the hotel was nice, and a simple breakfast was included.

Was around 125/night I think.

Chiado is a pretty good place to be on foot, in my opinion, uber will readily cover you as well.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I really like the feel with narrow cobblestone streets, small restaurants and bars as well as big inclines/declines in Alfama.

We enjoyed our stay there very much. Also just a short walk to the water or city centre.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Bryan H. wrote:I stayed at the Lisboa Carmo hotel in Chiado in December. I like the location, the hotel was nice, and a simple breakfast was included.

Was around 125/night I think.

Chiado is a pretty good place to be on foot, in my opinion, uber will readily cover you as well.
Thanks Bryan. The Carmo looks like a good option. How did you book your room? Their website seems goofed up and won't let me book anything. I've got an email in to them.

Cheers!

Update - The Carmo's website is indeed down for maintenance and I'll be discussing a room via email. :)
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

Mike--were you able to get a reservation at the Carmo?
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Bryan H. wrote:Mike--were you able to get a reservation at the Carmo?
Bryan, yes, I was able to chat with the Carmo staff via email and book a room.

Many thanks for the recommendation, the hotel looks great and is in a good location.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Excellent!!

You and J. are going to love having a small group, great pours and loads of face time with some impressive producers!! [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I will now second the recommendation for the Lisboa Carmo. The location is great, the rooms nice, and the staff is friendly. The breakfast was typical of what I've found in just about all Portuguese hotels--scrambled eggs and "bacon" cooked, lots of fruits, meats, cheeses, pastries ...
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Ah, I never followed up after my stay last year. We would definitely stay at the Lisboa Carmo again. Everything Eric said, plus the view from our room was great, and the hotel restaurant is quite good. (I'm sure Roy will frown upon reading that I frequented the hotel restaurant :) )
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I tend to avoid hotel restaurants, but recognize that some of the best restaurants in the world are in hotels, and there are many good ones in hotels as well.

As I had an evening of wine tasting and fado in the cards, we had to eat our major meal somewhere before many of the nearby restaurants were open for dinner, and chose Páteo - Bairro do Avillez, which is just around the block from the Carmo. The squid there was excellent, and the entire meal was very good.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Eric Menchen wrote:As I had an evening of wine tasting and fado in the cards, we had to eat our major meal somewhere before many of the nearby restaurants were open for dinner, and chose Páteo - Bairro do Avillez, which is just around the block from the Carmo. The squid there was excellent, and the entire meal was very good.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely give it a try next time I'm in town.
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

I've been to the Pateo - Bairro do Avillez for drinks at least. It's a cool place with a good atmosphere. We'd already eaten dinner, but the friend I was with who lives in Lisbon also says it is a great place to eat. It's a good place to have on the list.
Jose Mollino

Post by Jose Mollino »

I love Portugal, been there many times to be honest. One of interesting hotels to stay in can be Lisbon Wine Hotel, they have really nice wine house inside and can offer good variety of wines.

Moderator update: edited to remove inappropriate content