What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Randy Katz

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Randy Katz »

Eric Menchen wrote:3x Barros Tawny Port 100th Anniversary
I was outbid on 1968 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. That's my birthyear, but it turns out the bottles were in Hong Kong, so I'm not too disappointed to miss out.

WIsh I knew you were a '68 baby as well, would have invited you. The '68 Vargellas drank very well, especially the next day. Here is our lineup of a great '68 horizontal we had last October to celebrate my wife and my 50'th with 90 friends..
1968 Wines.jpg
1968 Wines.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 4097 times
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

1966 Barros colheita at Auction. fingers crossed.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

2 x 2015 Ferreira vp 55$/bottle
2 x 2011 lbv Quinta das Carvalhas 22.50$/bottle
Purchased at lcbo in Ottawa
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Randy Katz wrote:Here is our lineup of a great '68 horizontal we had last October to celebrate my wife and my 50'th with 90 friends..
Wow! Unbelievably awesome lineup!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Randy Katz wrote:WIsh I knew you were a '68 baby as well, would have invited you. The '68 Vargellas drank very well, especially the next day. Here is our lineup of a great '68 horizontal we had last October to celebrate my wife and my 50'th with 90 friends..
There is some great stuff there. Besides the Ports, I've had several of those Barolos as well. If you are looking to repeat the theme, two bottles that I highly recommend:
1968 Antonio Bernardino Paulo da Silva Colares Chitas Reserva Velho
1968 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio SQVP
1 x 1983 Niepoort Colheita
3 x 2007 Quinta do Noval VP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Eric Menchen wrote:3x Barros Tawny Port 100th Anniversary
I was outbid on 1968 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas. That's my birthyear, but it turns out the bottles were in Hong Kong, so I'm not too disappointed to miss out.
One of the folks on The Port Forum was born in 1968 and we have a pretty decent collection of Vintage and Colheita Port from the vintage - if you can get yourself over to the UK we'd be happy to share!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote:One of the folks on The Port Forum was born in 1968 and we have a pretty decent collection of Vintage and Colheita Port from the vintage - if you can get yourself over to the UK we'd be happy to share!
Well, there are several possibilities for that. I was thinking of coming over for the BFT next year, or maybe a stopover in conjunction with Roy's 5 Regions tour. And I'd be happy to share some other '68s that I have.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I also was thinking of the BFT. :munch:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Al B. wrote:One of the folks on The Port Forum was born in 1968 and we have a pretty decent collection of Vintage and Colheita Port from the vintage - if you can get yourself over to the UK we'd be happy to share!
Well, there are several possibilities for that. I was thinking of coming over for the BFT next year, or maybe a stopover in conjunction with Roy's 5 Regions tour. And I'd be happy to share some other '68s that I have.
Eric Ifune wrote:I also was thinking of the BFT. :munch:
The BFT is a strictly Trade Only show. We enforce that pretty strictly and it's one of the things which sets us apart from most of the other shows in London or which feature only fortified wines. Visitors who attend as "writers" have got to be active bloggers or tasting-note posters and have to promise to write something promptly about the wines they taste. TPF folks manage to get in as BFT volunteers - they work half a day without pay and then can spend the other half day mingling with the producers.

You would both be welcome if you qualify. PM or email me and we can have an offline chat.

Eric - whether for the BFT, the 5 Regions Tour or otherwise, it would be a real pleasure to host you in London for a 1968 themed evening. Give us as much notice as you can and we will organise something quite special.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2000 Offley Boa Vista VP

1 x 2000 Delaforce VP (bought it more because I've never had a Delaforce before so I want to try it even though it's not highly rated)

1 x 2000 Sandeman Vau VP (this isn't a world beater, but it's a decent to good very inexpensive Port)

1 x 2011 Alves de Sousa VP (This keeps popping up all over NJ and I'm happy to buy it when it's at a good price since the reviews on here have been good. I need to pop one of these soon to see what it's like even though it'll be young)
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

2 x 1982 Krohn Colheita
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Bought a 1971 Dalva Golden White Colheita at a Continente super market in Lisbon.

I love Portugal.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2 x 1985 Fonseca VP
1 x 1994 Quinta de la Rosa VP
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

1 x 1997 Fonseca VP
1 x 1966 Graham VP
1 x 1963 Taylor VP
5 x 1963 Dow VP

Excited for the bottles from the 1960s - finally getting some!
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I got a curious bottle of Port. I guess it is a Tawny port? It is a Dutch botteling, but can't see any producer
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jasper A. wrote:I got a curious bottle of Port. I guess it is a Tawny port? It is a Dutch botteling, but can't see any producer
Interesting. Appears to be a 1937 Colheita, bottling date unknown.

Is there a Selo on it? You have a pic of the top capsule?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Capsule is the same as the label, the dutch wine importer. And there is no selo or other info.

I found another bottle of Verlinden online, and i looks like a Fonseca. Am i right?

Verlinden just merged this year. I contacted them to see if it could be a Fonseca.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I just heard from Verlinden, and they don't know wich source the port came from.
It is a Colheita and was in good shape 2 years ago.
Zak Romaszko

Post by Zak Romaszko »

Fonseca Panascal 1999 VP and Croft Roeda 2002 VP - got both for £28 in total.