Poll: What is the longest you've ever gone without Port (in the past 5 years)?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

What is the longest you have ever gone without drinking Port (in the past 5 years)?

I skipped a day a few years ago, but can't remember what year that was.
No votes
Believe it or not, an entire week.
35%
I once went a whole two days without any Port, but I started to take it out on my dog.
6%
There was this month, when I was really sick ...
24%
One day is the longest span I can remember.
No votes
To be without, is simply unthinkable.
No votes
It happened once when I ran out of Nimrod.
6%
A full week.
6%
I'm trying to replicate the feat of consuming a "pipe" in a single year and never miss a day.
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 17

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Poll: What is the longest you've ever gone without Port (in the past 5 years)?

Post by Roy Hersh »

[shrug.gif] This is a very serious question to ponder! :scholar:

[welcome.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Re: Poll: What is the longest you've ever gone without Port (in the past 5 years)?

Post by Peter W. Meek »

I figured one of those answers was put there for me alone. It seemed a shame to waste it.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Menchen

Re: Poll: What is the longest you've ever gone without Port (in the past 5 years)?

Post by Eric Menchen »

What time is it?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I just realized that I answered incorrectly... the poll is asking for "in the past 5 years" and I didn't pay close enough attention. Luckily I was able to fix my answer. :wink:

I received my first ever bottle of Port in August of 2004 but didn't drink it immediately and didn't replace it immediately when it was gone. So even though I originally answered "believe it or not, a full week" my answer should have been (and has been changed to) "other" because if we're going back to January of 2005 I've almost certainly gone at least a month without Port early in that period and probably all summer in 2005. By winter 2005/2006 I was probably drinking a bottle a month, and then probably didn't have any Port again during the summer of 2006, but then probably continued at the one bottle per month rate fairly consistently until the start of 2008 when I signed up for FTLOP. The rest, as they say, is history.

These days I probably average around a bottle a week on my own, but since that's an average there are probably Port-free weeks that slip in here and there. I'm not counting tastings in that because they're irregular and would really skew the average.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Even though the question said past 5 years, I didn't consider my BPE - Before Port Era.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I've voted for "an entire week" on the basis that I tend not to drink much port on most nights in the summer, apart from tastings and the odd summer evening when I light the fire on the patio and sit out late when it's cool. Or when I just feel like having a glass of Port. Or on Saturdays when I haven't got work in the morning. Or on weeknights when I remembered to put a nice tawny of LBV in the fridge. Or when I fancy a Portonic.

Can I change my vote, please? [help.gif]
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Great poll!!! I voted for an entire month - how is that possible? A few years ago I took a trip to some islands in the Southern Indian Ocean and during the course of the entire trip I didn't have a single drop of Port. I looked....I just didn't find any, hence my geography dictated month-long Port dry spell.

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And you stayed? [shok.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm trying to replicate the feat of consuming a "pipe" in a single year and never miss a day.
[cheers.gif]

Ok Ok, so not really but I'd be a happy camper if that was the case. Since I still race bicycles my Port consumption gets notched back certain times of the year when I need to get my fat ar*e into shape and keep it in shape. So there are times that I'll go a week or more without Port. But rarely is it more than about 10-14 days and then only periodically.

Please, no need to worry about me not getting enough since I more than make up for it on the trips to Portugal each year :winebath: :drunk:

That reminds me, I need to add up how many bottles of Port I tasted last year.....then again maybe I don't :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

58 views of this and only 11 votes [dash1.gif]

One more time so I can feel better. [dash1.gif]
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

I ran out of Nimrod more than once. Should I vote multiple times? :lol:
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I remember this three day weekend back in 1999 after I had just broken my wrist falling down a flight of stairs ... [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I remember this three day weekend back in 1999 after I had just broken my wrist falling down a flight of stairs ... [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Hmm... Roy's wine cellar is in his basement... coincidence? :mrgreen: :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I sometimes travel to places where they don't have Port and try to survive on the local fortified wine. I managed OK in Greece (drank Mavrodaphne) and in Spain (Sherry and Malaga) and in Italy there's no shortage of choices.

So sometimes I've even gone 2 weeks without Port.