What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Al B. wrote:It was the weekend.
:thumbsup:
+1!
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

1985 Gould Campbell VP, with childhood friends in the weekend. It disappeared frighteningly quick. Should have brought 2-3 bottles. It is still a very solid bottle with quite some time until it reaches full maturity.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thomas V wrote:1985 Gould Campbell VP
Agreed. This is an excellent VP and is drinking beautifully now.
John M.

Post by John M. »

On Friday the High Bridge Port Club will be revisiting the Reserve Ruby Taste-Off (the host is a diehard Ruby Reserve fan and missed the original). Ports to be served are as follows:

1.Taylor Fladgate First Estate (the surprise of the 2012 event across the world--had a hard time locating this)

2. Fonseca Bin 27 (showed very poorly for us and we thought we'd give it a 2nd chance---plus easy to find cheaply)

3. Sandeman (Showed very well in 2012 for us)

4. Noval Black (The host's favorite--showed well before)

5. Ramos Pinto (New entry)

6. Croft (New entry. the Port Gent at Kobrand {importer} said they did a Ruby Reserve tasting and this was their WOTN)

Just the six.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2003 Portal VP.
Hasn't budged much. Still very primary and tannic.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Eric Ifune wrote:2003 Portal VP.
Wow. OK.... I have that wine and the Portal II. I would have thought that both of them were ready.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I’ve got a couple as well. Thanks for the note. I’ll leave mine in the cellar for many years to come.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Claus P

Post by Claus P »

Very much agree with this.

We had a Roy's top 12 tasting here in Odense a couple of months back, and all 3 bottles showed very poorly, so I decided to open one from the case I have and found it to be just like you say, also as I recall very dark.
No need to try for the next 10 years.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I thought it might be ready as well so I opened one. Improved for 4-6 hours in the decanter and shed some of the hard grip. I don't think it's a great VP, but a youngish solid one.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I seriously underestimated this. I thought after about 8 hours in the decanter, the fruit started to dry out, however, at 24 hours the fruit was back and improved. Way better than solid.
John M.

Post by John M. »

In what has become a Mother's Day tradition in my family, after a huge meal out 6 of us gathered at the bar to have a Port, this year a Graham's 30. This place does it well as the opened bottle had an argon plug seal. The Port was a lovely amber color with a moderate + viscosity. butterscotch, creme brulee with a hint of cooked orange zest. Interesting finish, a touch dry but layered. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1970 Taylor VP for a birthday party. Served with dinner of Boeuf Bourgignon.

I still very much enjoy this Port, but it lacks the "wow" factor for me that it used to have. The heat level seems to be rising, as is the "spicy" level. It still needs a good long decant - I gave this one 6-7 hours and it continued to improve during dinner. I'd say 8+ would probably still be best.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Quinta da Pacheca Porto Tawny 20 Years Old. Hands down this is the best 20 year old Tawny that I have ever tasted. It's a medium colored, reddish-brown with a sweet smell of burnt butterscotch. The taste is also primarily that of butterscotch, with a hint of alcohol that is warming and complementary, not distracting. This easily a 94+ in my book. I'll definitely be looking for more bottles of this. Simply delicious!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fortnum & Mason is perhaps London's grande doyenne of the old established department stores, established in 1707 and still going strong. They have a good wine selection, including fortified wines. While some of their offerings are extremely expensive (Graham's Ne Oublie for £4,500 per bottle), some of it is much more reasonable (Croft Roeda 2002 for less than £20 per bottle).

They also have a good selection of Own Label Ports, including Aged Tawny, Colheita, Ruby Reserve, LBV and Vintage.

They also operate the splendid policy of charging only an additional £15 if you want to drink a bottle you select from the wine shop in their wine bar - Port and their splendid steak tartare is a wonderful combination.

I didn't actually mean this to turn into an infomercial, but was including the waffle above as background to why I opened a half bottle of Fortnum & Mason Own Label 2000 Vintage Port, made for them by Dirk Niepoort and offered at £20 for the half bottle. It is still a brutal beast of a wine, even in a half bottle with just so much of everything - tannins, acidity and fruit. It went wonderfully with a medium-rare steak but I can only imagine how wonderful this Port will be when everything has settled down into the Niepoort harmony.

But if anyone is in London and wants somewhere to visit to browse and perhaps shop or drink, Fortnums is a decent suggestion.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

John M. wrote:In what has become a Mother's Day tradition in my family, after a huge meal out 6 of us gathered at the bar to have a Port, this year a Graham's 30. This place does it well as the opened bottle had an argon plug seal. The Port was a lovely amber color with a moderate + viscosity. butterscotch, creme brulee with a hint of cooked orange zest. Interesting finish, a touch dry but layered. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Where is this bar? Argon plug seal sounds worthy of a visit when in transit through the area!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2003 Quinta do Noval LBV Unfiltered.
Nice, still youthful. No need to rush.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1997 Souza VP. Tasting note has been posted.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

NV Quevedo 40 Year Old Tawny Port
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:NV Quevedo 40 Year Old Tawny Port
Wow total coincident. I opened one as well, at my friends wedding celebration. An awesome Tawny!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1968 Krohn colheita
1970 Fonseca VP