1977 Graham Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Bill Spohn

1977 Graham Vintage Port

Post by Bill Spohn »

1977 Grahams Port – a good month for port for me – had the 1985 Grahams recently. Medium colour now, darker than some 77s, and with an interesting smoky caramel nose! Like the 85, it showed as only medium sweet in the mouth and had excellent length, ending also medium sweet and not too hot. I have seen rumours that this wine is in its dotage, but that is a foul calumny – send it all my way if you believe it (I still have a few bottles and am in no rush).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1977 Grahams

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was never a fan of this Port when it was in its youth and there were some really rough times during its early and mid evolution. But 10-15 years ago, it really began to improve. Funny, it is one Graham's that I've never purchased, due to the aforementioned lackluster performances. But when it finally turned the corner, there was a SIGNIFICANT improvement. It went from a typical 85-88 point range when young and it rose all the way to consistent notes and fine ratings (of mine) up to 93 points. I am glad I never gave up on this particular Vintage Port, given how disjointed I felt it was for so many years when young. At that time, I never would have bet on this type of overall improvement, especially to this level!

Nice to see that you're still drinking Port, Bill. Our mutual friend Blair had told me that he drank some fine Port with you and assume this may have been that bottle?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Roy Hersh wrote: Nice to see that you're still drinking Port, Bill. Our mutual friend Blair had told me that he drank some fine Port with you and assume this may have been that bottle?
Have to, Roy - still have a dozen cases of Port and need to drink it while the taster as well as the Port are in good shape!

Think Blair was involved with the 85 Grahams, not this one. Fortunately I bought a decent amount of the 77 wines on release, though I wish I had bought more of the Fonseca....
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Totally agree with Roy on this one. Those who threw the towel on this one early will be kicking themselves. It use to be hot and not so great.

The same to a lesser degree can be said about Grahams 1975 turning the tide for the better.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I never tasted it during the "phase" that Roy describes, because I didn't start drinking Port until 2004 and not seriously until 2007. Right about the time that Roy says this Port started to turn around. So in my experience, this has always been a great Port, because my experience is basically limited to the last 10-12 years.

I only have a handful left!
Glenn Elliott
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

I think that the modern generation(s) lack patience. I am just now starting to check out anything into the 1990s and have saved a lot of older Ports as they are coming int focus now.

I still have a bunch of old Bordeaux as well, although the newer vintages probably are no longer made in a style that will have the longevity of my 1970 and 1975 clarets.

We need a T shirt that has a bottle of vintage Port with "Patience Grasshopper!" below it (I'll tell you where to send the royalties, Roy).