What do you feel is the "peak" for drinking VP?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Re: What do you feel is the "peak" for drinking VP?

Post by Al B. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:So I guess that means that, in general, I like my VP to be 50 years old (or older), or 5 years young (or younger).
I'd say this still holds true for me. There are plenty of Ports that are enjoyable younger, but I don't feel like a top quality Port has reached its peak until its 50th birthday.
I think what I have found over my years drinking Vintage Port is that I really like Port that is 50 years old, or older and Vintage Port which is 5 years old or younger. 10 years ago I really liked drinking Port from the vintages 1960-1970. Call it 40-50 years old.

Now that I am 10 years older and 10 years wiser, I still really like drinking Port from the vintages 1960-1970 — only now it is 50-60 years old. Sadly, as I get older my tastes get more expensive and harder to find.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What do you feel is the "peak" for drinking VP?

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:So I guess that means that, in general, I like my VP to be 50 years old (or older), or 5 years young (or younger).
I'd say this still holds true for me. There are plenty of Ports that are enjoyable younger, but I don't feel like a top quality Port has reached its peak until its 50th birthday.
I think what I have found over my years drinking Vintage Port is that I really like Port that is 50 years old, or older and Vintage Port which is 5 years old or younger. 10 years ago I really liked drinking Port from the vintages 1960-1970. Call it 40-50 years old.

Now that I am 10 years older and 10 years wiser, I still really like drinking Port from the vintages 1960-1970 — only now it is 50-60 years old. Sadly, as I get older my tastes get more expensive and harder to find.
Yes, pretty much this exactly. [friends.gif]
Glenn Elliott