When do you drink Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

When do you drink Port?

Post by cliburn »

I don't mean by vintage, but when and how do you consume it?
I really only consume during fall/winter/spring (living in Minnesota helps) and normally exclusively after dinner (both vintage and tawny).
I fell I am missing out on other opportunities......
I am sure there is a thread covering this. but I can't find it.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: When do you drink Port?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I drink year round. In the summer, when it’s quite hot here in So Cal, I just put the Port in the fridge and chill it down. When I pour a glass it slowly warms up and is perfect to sip on. I time the pour size so it doesn’t warm too much before I can finish it. No reason to stop in the summer time, just have to adapt a little.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

And I'll drink something in the ruby family with lamb or steak, or possibly even duck or pork if I make it with a Port reduction sauce.
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

I have never had a port with my main meal.... guess I going to have to try it.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

cliburn wrote:I have never had a port with my main meal.... guess I going to have to try it.
You should. I find young fruit forward VP, LBV etc go very well with richer/fattier foods like steak, pizza, etc.

I find tawnies harder to pair with dinner, but with a sandwich for lunch they go quite nicely.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I'll drink a glass in the morning. Then one after lunch. Definitely one while preparing dinner and then one as a digestive afterwards [yahoo.gif] [friends.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I find tawnies harder to pair with dinner, but with a sandwich for lunch they go quite nicely.
I wish you'd said that yesterday. I had a sandwich lunch yesterday and washed it down with a pint of cider - but it could have been a glass of 30YO tawny with my tuna and cucumber.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I find tawnies harder to pair with dinner, but with a sandwich for lunch they go quite nicely.
I wish you'd said that yesterday. I had a sandwich lunch yesterday and washed it down with a pint of cider - but it could have been a glass of 30YO tawny with my tuna and cucumber.
Perhaps have a sandwich this week and report back?
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Typically I only consume Port on a day ending with a "y".

Seriously though, I drink Port year round. I don't care if it's warm out. I like the taste and I find it refreshing. It's not the only thing I'll drink during the summer, but the season doesn't play into my consumption. I don't drink Port every night, but when I have a bottle decanted, I'll typically have a glass an hour or so after dinner. It the Port is really good, I might have a second glass.

I am thinking about trying some Port tonic recipes this summer for the first time to see what they're all about. [cheers.gif]
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
David Co

Post by David Co »

I drink port weekly (always have a bottle or two open)
I play poker and backgammon and have been known to drink port during both friendly games and during tourneys.
I generally splash a little port in my eggs once they about to come off the stove
I use port Friday night during blessings over the wine ( while not kosher much better than the concord grape stuff) with family
I serve it at dinner, bbq, after dinner, picnics, lunch etc.
I usually bring a bottle of decanted port to dinner when we dine out.
Heck at my son's 8th birthday I served VP to the parents. Many commented it was the best wine and best kids party they had ever been too (paired well with the pizza might I add)
I consume more port than most.
Coined the term porthead for my habit/obsession.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

David Co wrote:I drink port weekly (always have a bottle or two open)
I play poker and backgammon and have been known to drink port during both friendly games and during tourneys.
I generally splash a little port in my eggs once they about to come off the stove
I use port Friday night during blessings over the wine ( while not kosher much better than the concord grape stuff) with family
Heck at my son's 8th birthday I served VP to the parents. Many commented it was the best wine and best kids party they had ever been too (paired well with the pizza might I add)
You sound like my kind of guy.

Can I borrow the term "porthead"? [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Co wrote:I drink port weekly (always have a bottle or two open)
[notworthy.gif]
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

When I used to work the night shift over 10 yrs ago , a few glasses of colheita and peanut butter were had in the mornings
Yum !! :munch:
But , after getting sick in 2012 port harvest tour , Mario made me see the light
Peanuts and not peanutbutter is the way to go :scholar:
Last edited by Luc Gauthier on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Year round. Generally not with meals because I generally don't eat food worth even having my typical Ruby Reserve with. On the rare occasion I have a good burger or steak, I like Ruby Reserve [and got the idea thanks to this forum!].
For Valentine's Day this year, we had lamb and I brought a half bottle of Quevedo 2011 LBV, which is the best bottle I had.

I found this recipe last year, I don't recall whether I tried it, but I'm going to have one now [with store brand ice cream, not good stuff].

Affogato
INGREDIENTS:
1 Pint Of The Best Vanilla Ice Cream You Can Buy
4 Ounces Of Good Port
4 Bowls

Divide the vanilla ice cream evenly among four bowls. Pour one ounce of port over each bowl of ice cream. Serve with spoons.

https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/make-sin ... wned-port/
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi, my name is Roy and I've been coming to this meeting for 15 years now.

I am a seasonal Port drinker, which means that it is a good time to drink Port anytime there is a season going on. Not the 4 you are thinking of. I am talking about Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, FIFA, UFC, etc.

While the majority of my Port consumption happens at night, there are times where I have a glass before brushing my teeth and can then skip breakfast. Wine is a food and therefore Port is too. Port never tastes good to me after toothpaste though.

After lunch is always a fun time to drink Port, but occasionally a nap is a necessity and sleep offers good dreams of waking up in Porto. [shrug.gif]

I am glad to be able to find a safe place to share. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 pm Hi, my name is Roy and I've been coming to this meeting for 15 years now.

I am a seasonal Port drinker, which means that it is a good time to drink Port anytime there is a season going on. Not the 4 you are thinking of. I am talking about Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, FIFA, UFC, etc.

While the majority of my Port consumption happens at night, there are times where I have a glass before brushing my teeth and can then skip breakfast. Wine is a food and therefore Port is too. Port never tastes good to me after toothpaste though.

After lunch is always a fun time to drink Port, but occasionally a nap is a necessity and sleep offers good dreams of waking up in Porto. [shrug.gif]

I am glad to be able to find a safe place to share. [cheers.gif]
What Port were you drinking last night and was it good :winebath: :wink: [rotfl.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I drink port through all pandemic's no matter what time of year it is.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 pm I am a seasonal Port drinker, which means that it is a good time to drink Port anytime there is a season going on. Not the 4 you are thinking of. I am talking about Baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, FIFA, UFC, etc.
I'm more with Moses on this one, and it is a good thing since all Roy's seasons have shut down.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nyah, Nyah, Nyah.

No Port at all while posting my last message above. Tonight though, I am sipping a freshly opened and (decanted by my daughter) 2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV ... from 375 ml.

Just to note, before I go back to work ....

I was going to send the newsletter to Stewart tonight, as it was the plan we had all along. I called him an hour ago and let him know that I changed my mind. There is a TON of content and this newsletter will be the Covid issue #102. It will weigh in between 100-150 pages and there will be six articles included and tons of tasting notes, about 40 from me and a bunch from others too. I am starting a new article this evening but the big one is already completed as is everything else except final edits and a bunch more photos that I have decided to get add in, as I've not even taken them off my Nikon's SD card yet. Yeah, I could've stopped and sent it out with about 85-90 pages; but with all of us going nowhere fast, except the virus spreading more ... everyone will have time to read what will likely be the largest newsletter ever.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael Ferrier

Post by Michael Ferrier »

I consider that the response of Madame Lily Bollinger, head of the Champagne House from 1941 to 1971, to a question from a journalist about how much she enjoyed her own product is equally applicable to Port. Her response was : "I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I am alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”