Port Potential: Cocktails

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port Potential: Cocktails

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have to think that one of the areas that the Port trade can be more inspirational is in creating more Port-based cocktails. Sure we've all known about Port Tonics (I had my first in 1994 at The Factory House) but really now, there needs to be more.

Whether it is hard liquor mixed with the like of Tawny Ports or simple Ruby Ports for flavoring, or branded drinks like (for e.g. only) Stoli 27 - mixing Stolichnaya Vodka and Fonseca's Bin No. 27 - actually that might be awful together, I don't know ... nor do I drink Vodka. But that's solely meant as an example.

Surely, there must be dozens of drinks that would be suitable for Pink & Rose Port offerings.

One that I believe would work would be mixing Port and Champagne. A bright young Ruby Port and Champagne might make for an excellent and refreshing drink. Why are we not seeing these types of cocktails being developed, promoted and made mainstream? This is just another way that Port can be made far more popular and certainly can approach a younger crowd, different ethnic groups and Port drinkers of the female persuasion.

I am going to play around with some bubbly and Port and see what I can come up with. I can see it now, the hot summer drink at the clubs ... the :ftlop: Bubbly Port cocktail. It has quite a ring to it. :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Potential: Cocktails

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had Rose Port and Champagne before and it's actually not bad. Just don't put in too much Rose or it overpowers the bubbly.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Port and Champagne sound like a good combination--but I think I'd call it something cute like a Ruby Fizz. :D Now there's a way to get more ladies drinking Port.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Unless it has a raw eggs and bitters, port does not make a good cocktail.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Unless it has a raw eggs and bitters, port does not make a good cocktail.
So that's was Luc's problem..... :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

I've also had that combo, in particular it was Croft Pink Port and a nice bubbly as well, when Robert Bower of Kobrand (Brand Mgr. for TFP Ports) was here a few months back. It was about as enjoyable as any sweet fresh fruit mixer, and I am not adverse to them. I've had the original creation of the Bellini (peach puree) years ago and then finally at the source for where it originated (1948 -- at Harry's in Venice, Italy) with Dorene on our honeymoon ... as well as Cirpriani's outcroppings here in the USA. I've had it with Prosecco, Cava, Chat. Ste. Michelle, Cremant and other cheapies over the years and even knock offs that substituted strawberry puree (yummy) in place of peach.

I have to think that a mixologist could fashion some Port, whether Pink/Rose or even Ruby ... which I think would be cool too, and come up with something that could be a trend setter. Seriously. Honestly, I am not sure why the Port trade has not been FAR MORE proactive in this regard. I know they're really tradtionalists and I resemble that remark with Port and respect that stance. But for the betterment of the Port industry as a whole, I think this is the easiest and least expensive thing that could be done to introduce new and younger people to Port. I think it makes more sense than expecting people to buy a bottle of Rose or Pink Port right off the bat ... which obviously people ARE doing and in droves apparently. Cool! 8--)

How about other mixers with hot selling Vodka brands or even Tequila? I am sure that the Port trade is loathe to go the route of Rum & Coke ... them substituting Port for the proverbial 'coke' but nonetheless, nothing should be overlooked in terms of appealing to new markets ... especially for Ruby and Ruby Reserve ... which face the facts, is what pays the bills and allows us serious Port geeks to continue down our merry paths of geekdom drinking well-aged Vintage Ports, stellar LBVs and Colheitas and 20-40 year old Tawnies with frequency and abandon. But we're just the 2% of their marketing emphasis. They already have us hook-line-and-sinker for life. [friends.gif]

That said, with summer right around the bend and the Pink/Rose category starting to really catch on "mainstream" now in the Port trade, it would be very wise to come up with beach/deck/club-friendly summer sipper cocktails with Port. I was going to put something like this into an OP/ED piece in the newsletter ... but I'd rather soft peddle this one instead of thowing it in the faces of the Port trade. However, I hope they are reading this [notworthy.gif] and keeping an open mind, just as I did when the very first Pink Port was launched (when so many were quick to rail against it vociferously early and often).

It just makes too much sense and hopefully those cents will turn into dollars! [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

Stepping down now :soapbox:

:lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Has anybody ever experimented with these types of recipes?

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/2289/
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Markus D. wrote:Has anybody ever experimented with these types of recipes?

Markus,

Never had any of the ones listed, but some look pretty tasty. I like the idea of the Mulled Spice one for the holidays.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Markus D. wrote:Has anybody ever experimented with these types of recipes?

Markus,

Never had any of the ones listed, but some look pretty tasty. I like the idea of the Mulled Spice one for the holidays.
Nacional Glugg
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

(Ruby) Port and lemonade was a staple of UK pubs half a century ago and is a drink I quite enjoy when mixing a decent ruby with Fevertree Traditional Lemonade.

White Port and tonic is becoming more and more mainstream — quite rightly too — and there's gentle debate about whether it's better with mint (clapped or crushed?), lemon zest or orange peel among.

White Port is also starting to be used by mixologists as an alternative to gin, one which adds a different twist and a lower level of alcohol than the spirit. This is by no means common, but it is happening in a few places.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I like mint in winter and lemon in summer for my White Port and tonics.
Zak Romaszko

Post by Zak Romaszko »

The popular Port cocktail among British students is of course, the "Cheeky Vimto" or simply, "Cheeky V". Found at many clubs and student's unions, this has many different ways of constructing it, but the basic ingredients are;

1 half full high-ball glass of ice with ruby Port (whatever is cheapest) topped with Blue WKD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKD_Original_Vodka.
Typically lemonade is also added. I've also seen this made with generally whatever is lying around a student flat.

Tasting note:
This carefully crafted cocktail allows students to achieve a perfect percentage of alcohol content to keep them going at the desired level of inebriation throughout the night. Bravo.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Yesterday at the London launch of Graham's Blend No.5 White Port there were mixologists from three of London's leading bars (the Shard, the Goring and one I don't remember) who were using Graham's Blend No.5 as one of the ingredients for a cocktail. I rather liked 2 out of the 3, one was fruit juice with English Vermouth with the White Port which was particularly nice.