Taylor's Port opens a Wine Shop and Tasting Room in Lisbon

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

Taylor's Port opens a Wine Shop and Tasting Room in Lisbon

Post by Christian Gollnick »

After being heavily involved in everything tourism related in Porto and the Douro Valley, Taylor's is now also penetrating Lisbon. They have just opened a Wine Shop where people can taste a variety of wines... currently there are 15 different wines available for tasting. It's located in Alfama, maybe the most beautiful part of Lisbon. So, if one of us flies to Lisbon and has no time to make it north towards Porto, at least now we can relax and get our dose of Port in this new place. They have a package called "Introduction to Taylor's", which contains Taylor’s Chip Dry, Taylor’s LBV, Taylor’s 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Taylor’s Quinta de Vargellas Vintage 2015 and Taylor’s Vintage 2009. Looking at the incredible huge crowds of tourists in Lisbon I am convinced that this place will be a success... Address: Rua Cais de Santarém 8, 1100-104 Lisboa.

[cheers.gif]
Will W.

Re: Taylor's Port opens a Wine Shop and Tasting Room in Lisbon

Post by Will W. »

The last time I was along that street, a couple of years ago, it was about 35C in the blazing sun and there were two middle-aged American fellows sat on a bench in said sun smoking impressively-sized cigars and drinking a RCV '82 directly from the bottle.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Will W. wrote:The last time I was along that street, a couple of years ago, it was about 35C in the blazing sun and there were two middle-aged American fellows sat on a bench in said sun smoking impressively-sized cigars and drinking a RCV '82 directly from the bottle.
I hope those weren't Roy and Andy. But then I don't think that Roy would smoke when he drinks Port... I am sure that those two guys had a great time and created memories that day... and that is what life is about, isn't it...

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:
Will W. wrote:The last time I was along that street, a couple of years ago, it was about 35C in the blazing sun and there were two middle-aged American fellows sat on a bench in said sun smoking impressively-sized cigars and drinking a RCV '82 directly from the bottle.
I hope those weren't Roy and Andy. But then I don't think that Roy would smoke when he drinks Port... I am sure that those two guys had a great time and created memories that day... and that is what life is about, isn't it...

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Nope, not I.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Me neither.

But they have also opened a shop that is even more visible and really nicely appointed. It is next door to the now even more beautiful Infante de Sagres. Anyone who has ever stayed at that hotel, should go back and walk around. There is now a brand new swimming pool with a view, on the 2nd floor. The first Vogue Cafe, (I believe) in Europe. Artwork on the walls, some famous and renowned artists, others far more obscure. A new patio restaurant. The old dining room was remodeled too, but ONLY serves breakfast nowadays. But back to the the Taylor's wine shop next door. Definitely worth a visit, but there are no bargains for the rabid hunters here ... just some really impressive Ports. Who knows, you find some bottles that you really have never seen before. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:Who knows, you find some bottles that you really have never seen before.
1987 Taylor's Vargellas?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Who knows, you find some bottles that you really have never seen before.
1987 Taylor's Vargellas?
1926 Touriga Nacional single grape Port?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com