Breaking News: Quinta do Noval buys Quinta do Passadouro

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Breaking News: Quinta do Noval buys Quinta do Passadouro

Post by Roy Hersh »

Under the umbrella of AXA, Quinta do Noval acquired Quinta do Passadouro today! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Breaking News

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here's the press release
Christian Seely, Managing Director of AXA Millésimes and of Quinta do Noval, comments: "I am delighted to announce that we have acquired Quinta do Passadouro from the Bohrmann family, who have been neighbours and friends for many years. The vineyard of Passadouro consists of two principal parcels, both marching with the vineyard of Quinta do Noval. One parcel is in the Pinhão Valley, where the majority of Noval’s vineyard is situated, and which ranks among the greatest vineyard terroir of the Douro Valley, and the other parcel is in the Roncão Valley, where Noval also has very significant vineyard holdings, and which is also vineyard terroir of the highest level. Quinta do Noval’s Vintage Ports are sourced from grapes from both the Pinhão and Roncão Valleys, and so we know the quality of the vineyards of Passadouro that neighbour ours."
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Breaking News: Quinta do Noval buys Quinta do Passadouro

Post by David Spriggs »

Wow! I didn't see that coming.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

I will never forget my first visit to Quinta do Passadouro... Jet and Ronald did such a great job as hosts... Ronald had arranged for my first blind Port tasting ever... and then it turned out that it was a Crusted Port... the first one of my life... of course I didn't guess it and he let me guess for the longest time... :) Great memories.
Somehow I hoped that Wine & Soul would go together with Quinta do Passadouro - for me that would have been a perfect match. Jorge Borges and Quinta do Passadouro - they seemed to absolutely belong together... Deep inside, I would have also kind of expected that the Quinta becomes part of Niepoort. However, I understand that it makes of course sense for NOVAL to buy the Quinta, as the vineyards are neighbors and Noval knows perfectly well about the quality of those grapes...
It is somehow nice to see that the brand "Quinta do Passadouro" will remain - and the financial backing of NOVAL should enable them to continue to make really outstanding wines...

Well, good luck and a lot of success to all involved parties... [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:I will never forget my first visit to Quinta do Passadouro... Jet and Ronald did such a great job as hosts... Ronald had arranged for my first blind Port tasting ever... and then it turned out that it was a Crusted Port... the first one of my life... of course I didn't guess it and he let me guess for the longest time... :) Great memories.
Somehow I hoped that Wine & Soul would go together with Quinta do Passadouro - for me that would have been a perfect match. Jorge Borges and Quinta do Passadouro - they seemed to absolutely belong together... Deep inside, I would have also kind of expected that the Quinta becomes part of Niepoort. However, I understand that it makes of course sense for NOVAL to buy the Quinta, as the vineyards are neighbors and Noval knows perfectly well about the quality of those grapes...
It is somehow nice to see that the brand "Quinta do Passadouro" will remain - and the financial backing of NOVAL should enable them to continue to make really outstanding wines...

Well, good luck and a lot of success to all involved parties... [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Are they keeping it Passadouro or incorporating it into Noval? They aren't clear on exactly what they are doing with it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hi Andy, in the press release, they wrote: "The team of Passadouro will remain with the Quinta and will join the dedicated team of Quinta do Noval. We intend to maintain the brand of Quinta do Passadouro, which has produced some thrilling wines - both Ports and unfortified red wines - during the Bohrmann’s time there."
I don't know if that means that Jorge Borges now works with Noval, too? António Agrellos and Jorge Borges... would be an interesting team... But of course, I don't know anything about their plans... I only read the press release and was totally taken by surprise...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christian Gollnick wrote:Hi Andy, in the press release, they wrote: "The team of Passadouro will remain with the Quinta and will join the dedicated team of Quinta do Noval. We intend to maintain the brand of Quinta do Passadouro, which has produced some thrilling wines - both Ports and unfortified red wines - during the Bohrmann’s time there."
I don't know if that means that Jorge Borges now works with Noval, too? António Agrellos and Jorge Borges... would be an interesting team... But of course, I don't know anything about their plans... I only read the press release and was totally taken by surprise...
Thanks I didn't get that part of the PR. I'd imagine you'd want to keep the team, at least for a little while, so you can learn about the property from people who have worked it for a long time. The question always is, how long will the upper end people stay on board.

I'll reach out to Sandra/Jorge and try to get clarification on some things.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

oh that is surprising! i am fan of both brands but i always like the smaller ones to remain independant. and knowing Noval prices i kind of expect the prices of passadouro wines to go up as well..

edit: i've just been told that Jorge will probably leave but it isn't sure yet how these things will work out..
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Antonio Agrellos has been semi-retired for well over a year now and closer to two. Carlos Agrellos, has taken over, as the main winemaker of Noval.

From what I was told in June, Jorge Borges was no longer at Passadouro. I never tried to confirm that info and when I saw Jorge and Sandra late that month, at Confraria dinner, the timing was not appropriate to start that discussion.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: Breaking News

Post by Eric Menchen »

Christian Seely, Managing Director of AXA Millésimes and of Quinta do Noval, comments: "... Quinta do Noval’s Vintage Ports are sourced from grapes from both the Pinhão and Roncão Valleys, and so we know the quality of the vineyards of Passadouro that neighbour ours."
So that seems like not a single quinta wine to me, as I would expect the property need be contiguous. Otherwise as long as I owned all of the properties that might be scattered about, I could label anything as a "Quinta" wine. Admittedly, I don't know where the Roncão Valley is located. Is it adjacent to the Pinhão?
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Eric Menchen wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am
Christian Seely, Managing Director of AXA Millésimes and of Quinta do Noval, comments: "... Quinta do Noval’s Vintage Ports are sourced from grapes from both the Pinhão and Roncão Valleys, and so we know the quality of the vineyards of Passadouro that neighbour ours."
So that seems like not a single quinta wine to me, as I would expect the property need be contiguous. Otherwise as long as I owned all of the properties that might be scattered about, I could label anything as a "Quinta" wine. Admittedly, I don't know where the Roncão Valley is located. Is it adjacent to the Pinhão?
it's Quinta Da Romaneira. so a bit upstream from Pinhao
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
The top part of Noval extends into the Roncao valley. Quite a view from the top. It’s roughly northeast a bit from the main Noval house (for reference).