1965 Trader Joe's?!

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

1965 Trader Joe's?!

Post by Eric Menchen »

Is it a Madeira or a Port? Well, it is from California, so neither really. But I was intrigued and amused:
https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/72 ... deira-Port
John M.

Re: 1965 Trader Joe's?!

Post by John M. »

Not shy with the pricing...for $25 I'd take a flyer just for the curiosity of it. For $55 not so much. I note a LOT of trackers.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:00 pm Not shy with the pricing...for $25 I'd take a flyer just for the curiosity of it. For $55 not so much. I note a LOT of trackers.
I agree. I don't recognize the producer, Chateau Diana says it was founded in 1981 on their webpage. The owner worked for Trader Joe's and bought negociant wines. So this would have come from some other producer in the valley back then. That could be a number of them, as quite a few made small amounts of port back in those days. I assume barrel aged for some period before being bottled. The glass, capsule and label are much more mid 1970's to mid 80's in style. The label appears to be a modern reproduction, see what appears to be a fingerprint smudge near the top on the word "Unfined" and it appears to be brand new with no discoloration of the white parts.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Just a wild guess.
I've heard of Ch Diana, but didn't know if they ever released a fortified wine.
I'm going to guess the wine was made for them by Ficklin. They grow "Tinta Madeira" in their home vineyard, but I've never been able to figure out exactly what variety this is in Portugal. The label is also similar to some recent Ficklin labels.