Paulo Cruz - non-Port fortified Douro?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andrew Hall

Paulo Cruz - non-Port fortified Douro?

Post by Andrew Hall »

We had someone upload this to CellarTracker and I am more just personally curious than anything else. Is there some legal reason this would not be labelled as Port?

Thanks,

A.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Paulo Cruz - non-Port fortified Douro?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Andrew,

I am not familiar with this bottling from them. Never seen it before and I can't find anything online either. It appears to be 20% ABV but I can't read what it says under Tonel 7. Finally found another pic of it and it says "vinho do lavrador". Translated roughly means a wine of a Farmer. The pic on CT shows it was bottled in 2013.

Given the farmers wine part I would take a guess it is a Port but it is not a "legal" Port. It was probably originally made by a farmer (grape grower) for his family use, which is permitted by law, and it does not count toward what their property is legally allowed to make into Port either. As many grape growers in the Douro have a small stash of old Port lurking in their cellar these are starting to pop up from time to time. They tend to be sold for cash if you happen to visit the producer or are given away. Most of these are more Solara in style now as the families top up the barrels with younger stuff as the years go on*. Technically speaking they aren't supposed to sell these "Vihno Generoso" type of Ports, but it is the Douro...

This one is rather nice packaging. Casal does have a place you can rent near Pinhao. I wonder if you can buy it if you stay there.

*Keep in mind these are stored by a smaller land owner in Douro with the summer heat and often have a Douro Bake note to them. As a result they also evaporate at a higher rate in barrel and need to be topped up more often with something younger so one doesn't end up with a molasses like liquid. The family also may have periodically drawn off lots for home use/special occasions. Hence really being more Solara like than pure single vintage. I've had some that are amazing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Andrew Hall wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:33 am
Is there some legal reason this would not be labelled as Port?

Thanks,

A.
To be labelled as Port it needs to be aproved and controled by the IVDP, which is not the case of this particular bottling according from what one can read on the label.

This is the very first time I'm seeing such type of a bottling :shock:
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

I would say that the wording "Douro" on bottlings is also owned (aka: registered and trade marketed) by the IVDP.
Being that the case, my guess is this bottling could turn out to be an "illegal label" as well (but confess I'm not sure on this particular). :roll:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Doesn't look that dark in the photo. Surely it couldn't be a recent bottling from cask from 1963
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 am I can't read what it says under Tonel 7. Finally found another pic of it and it says "vinho do lavrador". Translated roughly means a wine of a Farmer. The pic on CT shows it was bottled in 2013.
This picture says:

?l?gado do Avo Manuel

The second ? is likely a vowel and appears to be either 'i' or 'o' to me.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:51 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 am I can't read what it says under Tonel 7. Finally found another pic of it and it says "vinho do lavrador". Translated roughly means a wine of a Farmer. The pic on CT shows it was bottled in 2013.
This picture says:

?l?gado do Avo Manuel

The second ? is likely a vowel and appears to be either 'i' or 'o' to me.
If you go to Cellartracker on a desktop there is a much better pic of it. The color is also darker on CT so I suspect a flash of backlighting may have made this one look so light. This one has "Tonnel 7" where the one on CT does not. That also may cause the difference in color. Regardless, it appears to be an unregistered Colheita Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com