Greatest Malvedos?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Greatest Malvedos?

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am yet to have a Malvedos vintage that I thought was great or as good as regular Grahams vintage. Which Malvedos vintages are actually worth chasing?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Greatest Malvedos?

Post by Glenn E. »

1986 and 1987 are both excellent. Still not on par with the 1985 or 1983 Graham, but that's a pretty high bar.

Also, technically, Stone Terraces is a Malvedos. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've only had the Graham's Malvedos Centenary 1990 and that's pretty good. I have one more bottle of that left, but I'll probably give it a few more years before I try it again. I also just picked up 2 bottles of the '95 Malvedos. I'll try one of them sometime in January or February.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'll be interested to see how the 01s and 04s progress, as both vintages looked very good in a lineup we tried on the Port harvest tour back in 2011 that included some excellent generally declared Grahams VPs. Still early days for them yet but I remember the 04 in particular had excellent structure.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

So far from the thread I have had '90, '95, '87, and maybe '86. Was looking downstairs and have a 6 pack of '09. How's '09?
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

In general I agree that most Malvedos VP I have tasted/consumed are not up to the regular Graham' VP.
But there are many which are nice products and absolutely drinkable!

However, the 2004 is in my opinion at the Graham's VP-level.
Have had 5-6 of the 2004 Malvedos VP and have even given one of the bottles 95 pts.
The other bottles have been in the 93-94 pts range.
For your info: I am giving the 2004 Malvedos VP 6 hrs in the decanter.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Rune EG wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 am In general I agree that most Malvedos VP I have tasted/consumed are not up to the regular Graham' VP.
But there are many which are nice products and absolutely drinkable!
Rune:

What stage of the production you think effects the final product from being that far off from the regular vintage? Grape selection, handling, quality of the vintage? Little bit of all of that? I can't image the vinification is much if any different between the two.

Have you noticed dry corks to more common on Malvedos?