Can I ask for your help, please

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Can I ask for your help, please

Post by Roy Hersh »

We have a very thorough list of items for our 2nd stage of development and improvements for our new travel site:
https://portuguesewinetours.com/

But I see one thing missing, something compelling to get people to (at the very least) come back more than once. Beyond doing a blog, what do you think we could add that would provide people with a reason to return?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or suggestions!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Re: Can I ask for your help, please

Post by Paul Fountain »

I think it would be great to show the past itineraries with a bit of detail, for each of the tours, which would help demonstrate that the experience is different each year.
Including the people that hosted the groups and lead tastings would be good as it shows that in most instances it is owners, winemakers and directors that we'd spend the time with rather than the cellar door staff you'd get if you turned up to a tasting room.
Also, a list of wines tasted at each place would be good to demonstrate that there is some pretty interesting wines that get pulled out for these tours, rather than what was available for current vintage.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Agree with Paul, more details on what actually happened on previous tours. Pictures of the food, which wines, which personalities were part of the Tours. I know you do a good job on all the angles of these tours, but if I didn't know you (and been on one before) I wouldn't know how good there are.

Perhaps there's a section for previous participants to put their own reviews?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Roy, I know you don’t like to publicize your full itineraries because you’d be giving away secrets to competing tours, and some of the visits likely don’t want the world to know they exist or what they offer you.

So some sanitized example itineraries might be all you can do there. I like the idea of some curated reviews from folks that have gone.

The first tour I took with you was a massive leap of faith. Send some guy you’ve never met a lot of money, show up in PT, and rumor has out he’ll show you an amazing time.

I’ve been on several tours now, and have been 110% satisfied with each of them. I think some ways to pull back the curtain a bit and reassure the timid would help a great deal.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:04 pm But I see one thing missing, something compelling to get people to (at the very least) come back more than once. Beyond doing a blog, what do you think we could add that would provide people with a reason to return?
Return on a second tour, or return to the website again? I interpreted the question to be the latter, but all the answers thus far are for the former.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Return on a second tour, or return to the website again? I interpreted the question to be the latter, but all the answers thus far are for the former.
Taking a second tour will not be an issue. The trick is wowing folks when they see the new website and getting them to take that first tour.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, to clarify ... I am not talking about the dynamic about returning for another tour. This year, due to the nearly two full Madeirathons with all guests repeating, we may move up from 38% to a full 40% this year in terms of how many guests have come back for at least a 2nd tour. The greater challenge (by far) is attracting new guests.

However, the premise of this thread IS how to get people who look once at the new Portuguese Wine Tours to come and revisit the website. But either way, I'll be happy with any advice that past guests are willing to provide.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Well I've gone back to have another look (so I guess asking us is one way to come back for multiple visits :lol: ) and 2 more things come to mind..
1) More Photos
2) Testamonials

With the Photos, Moses mentioned food and wine, but I'd add plenty of scenery too, as the vistas are a big selling point when comparing the Portuguese regions with the rest of the world. For each individual tour, there would pretty much be views you are guaranteed to see so those would be a good start and you don't have to worry about people being disappointed because they didn't visit a particular winery or try a particular dish that was in the photos.

Testimonials are good too, and by adding the country that people come from or reside in, its a good way to demonstrate that you've had a range of people from different parts of the world come on the tours. There are a couple there already, but perhaps tour specific testimonials would be good
I don't know whether you've had much press coverage of the tours... if there has been it might be useful to include those somewhere. Maybe some endorsements from some of the wine trade themselves wouldn't hurt either. Someone like Dirk, for example who is pretty well known across the wine world would carry a lot of weight.
Of course, all of this makes it a little harder to under promise and over deliver, so that is one thing to consider with all this.
P Kaye

Post by P Kaye »

I agree with the idea of sharing more about the people we meet on the trip-maybe even a short video? Al the so, perhaps we should share the pleasure of meeting and getting to know the other folks on the road with us.

Also, on both my trips, the surprise food stops-the cheese shop in Porto and the cheesemaking experience-were definitely highlights and might broaden the idea of what folks will experience.

Paul
Claus P

Post by Claus P »

From a personal point of view, I find the lack of pricing on the website very anoying.

Obviously I know you and have met you on several occasions in Odense, so it wouldn't be a problem, but if that wasn't the case I would probably just go looking for other organisers that lets me compare prices.
jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

I agree on the lack of pricing range.