POSSIBLE 1985 Fonseca at a good price?

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

POSSIBLE 1985 Fonseca at a good price?

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just came across an online store out of California that could possibly be selling '85 Fonseca VP for $75/bottle. I say possibly because the item says 1985 but they show a label with 1983 showing on it. They purport to have 9 bottles in stock. $75/bottle is a great price for this port. The store is named Wine House and the website is winehouse.com They only deliver to a limited number of states. I've never used them before, so I can't vouch for them. It's worth checking out, but make sure it is in fact '85's not the '83's that they show on the label of the ad.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: POSSIBLE 1985 Fonseca at a good price?

Post by Glenn E. »

$75 is a pretty good price for the 1983 Graham, too, so as long as you trust the store (and don't care which you get) it seems like a good deal.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I just checked, and I don't see that listing anymore. :(

They now have 30 bottles of 1985 at $110 each, and 16 bottles of 1983 at $90 each. Both use the same 1985 label image, but the 1983 is clearly labeled in the text link as the 1983 vintage.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1985 Fonseca, with the picture of 1983, $74.98: https://www.winehouse.com/product/1985- ... ort-750ml/
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Most of the time, I trust the description, not the picture. A quick call could confirm which vintage it is.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Stewart T. wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:58 pm Most of the time, I trust the description, not the picture. A quick call could confirm which vintage it is.
I agree with you Stewart. I wanted to give a heads up to people just to double check before they order. I'd buy some but they don't deliver to NJ so I thought I'd pass it along.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm 1985 Fonseca, with the picture of 1983, $74.98: https://www.winehouse.com/product/1985- ... ort-750ml/
Oh, duh, for some reason I searched for Graham instead of Fonseca. Whoops!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One can never have enough of these, so I bought more a few weeks back in perfect condition, except one messed up label. Who cares, when you pay $69? [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com