What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by John M. »

On Saturday getting together with some New Jersey Porto-Philes (7 of us, each bringing a bottle 30+ years old) So far we have:

1. 1980 Gould Campbell
2. 1985 Ferreira
3. 1983 Ferreira Quinta do Seixo
4. 1985 Grahams
5. Mystery (something odd for fun)
6. 1963 Croft
7. 1985 Offley

The Seixo intrigues the most--have not had it and TNs here cite it needs more time---but posts are from awhile ago so maybe its ready.
Last edited by John M. on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm The Seixo intrigues the most--have not had it and TNs here cite it needs more time---but posts are from awhile ago so maybe its ready.
I like the Seixo's and find that Ferreira SQV's are really on par with the regular vintage. Well, I am just a fan of Ferreira ports. :-)
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 am
John M. wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm The Seixo intrigues the most--have not had it and TNs here cite it needs more time---but posts are from awhile ago so maybe its ready.
I like the Seixo's and find that Ferreira SQV's are really on par with the regular vintage. Well, I am just a fan of Ferreira ports. :-)
Me, too. Not really on my radar when I first got started with Port...but everyone I've had has been really nice. I love the subtle, feminine style.
Any Port in a storm!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

John M. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:19 pm Me, too. Not really on my radar when I first got started with Port...but everyone I've had has been really nice. I love the subtle, feminine style.
Same for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate the Ferreira style.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Opened this one tonight.

Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Mike K. wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:22 pm Opened this one tonight.

Nice bottle, but your pup seems pretty nonplussed, lol. What's his or her name? What kind of dog?
Oh, and how was the port? :D
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Nice bottle, but your pup seems pretty nonplussed, lol. What's his or her name? What kind of dog?
Oh, and how was the port? :D
Oh, he always looks dejected like that. You’re right, I guess he wasn’t impressed. His name is Brady. He’s a boxer / pit bull mix we adopted from a shelter two years ago. Great family member.

The Taylor was excellent. I really like this series and try to pick one up each year if I can get it on sale.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1976 Niepoort Colheita - bottled in 2003.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Churchill VP for the Sammamish Port Club tasting on Friday night. It showed very well and a couple of people chose it over the Fonseca as their favorite of the first flight. I did not. I do like it, but not THAT much. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Since I last posted on this thread I've opened:
  • Dow 1975
  • Croft 1970
  • Gould Campbell 2003
  • Niepoort VV (1960s bottling)
  • Dow 1977
  • Graham Stone Terraces 2015
  • Royal Palace Colheita 2002
  • Dow 1958
Most of these were to share, but one or two were for consumption at home.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1998 Malvedos VP. Just lovely with 12 hrs of decanting.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1977 Taylors. A good bottle, not as youthful as some.
Nicholas S

Post by Nicholas S »

Kirkland/Fonseca 10yo Tawny - Bottled 2019. Simple and a bit cloying, I get strawberry up front and spice on the finish.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Nicholas S wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm Kirkland/Fonseca 10yo Tawny - Bottled 2019. Simple and a bit cloying, I get strawberry up front and spice on the finish.
The first year they released it, it was great and then was mediocre ever since. Our Costco sells Warre Utima 10 year in 500 ml and 3000 ml bottles. They have Maynards and Pocas for vintage port.
Nicholas S

Post by Nicholas S »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 pm
Nicholas S wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:13 pm Kirkland/Fonseca 10yo Tawny - Bottled 2019. Simple and a bit cloying, I get strawberry up front and spice on the finish.
The first year they released it, it was great and then was mediocre ever since. Our Costco sells Warre Utima 10 year in 500 ml and 3000 ml bottles. They have Maynards and Pocas for vintage port.
We haven't seen Pocas at our store in Richmond, however when they restocked the port in the fall, I picked up a few of the Maynard, this bottle and an Otima. They always seem to have Bin 27 too.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Maynard's 30 y.o. tawny. LOTS of acidity, nice nose and a translucent rose-orange color. Thinnish viscosity and for now a "meh" taste. I just opened the bottle so I suspect this will soften and settle down a little over the next few days. On Day 1 I'd say it's in the 88 - 89 range.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:02 pm Maynard's 30 y.o. tawny. LOTS of acidity, nice nose and a translucent rose-orange color. Thinnish viscosity and for now a "meh" taste. I just opened the bottle so I suspect this will soften and settle down a little over the next few days. On Day 1 I'd say it's in the 88 - 89 range.
I thought Maynard's 30 tasted more like Maynard's 60. Their 20 I find to be the best one.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1998 Malvedos VP...tasting note is posted.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Ferreira 20yr - bottled 1979

Shared with some very knowledgeable Italian wine enthusiasts who put an elegant sufficiency of different Italian wines (mostly reds) on the table, whilst we indulged a lengthy Italian meal as the sun went down. Served cold, beautifully smooth, and very well received..
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've been a bit slow in posting what I've opened recently, so here's some catching up to report the last 3-4 weeks of activity:
Dow 1985 - a half bottle drunk at home (very pleasant)
Graham Stone Terraces 2015 - also a half bottle drunk at home (and absolutely stunning)
Royal Palace Colheita 2002 - consumed at home; a pleasant BoB from The Fladgate Partnership
Dow 1958 - a bottle shared with friends, very evolved and tertiary
Constantino 1963 - another bottle shared with a couple of friends and as good as ever, this is a great Port
Croft 1945 - Port for dinner tomorrow night; the cork was removed this evening Audouze style