Rating SQVP vs fully declared

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

J Jackson

Rating SQVP vs fully declared

Post by J Jackson »

I'm curious, when rating a port and listing tasting notes, when rated out of 100, are people more likely to be forgiving to a SQVP and less forgiving to a VP in their score?

Personally, I rate them on the same out of 100 scale, I was just curious how others approached the difference. For me, on a limited budget, SQVPs offer outstanding value and are my go-to for most of the time, unless it's a birthday or Christmas.

I just opened a 2002 Quinta da Roeda, I had one about 5 years ago and I can't believe how much it's improved. It's from a notoriously bad vintage, but it's one of the few gems from that year. It's clearing nicely, some nice bricking, clear through 10-15mm+. Amazing floral and fruity nose, filled the room from the second the cork was removed. I think that's what I noted most last time I had one. Will post tasting notes in time.

So, what's the opinion do SQVPs and VP deserve to be rated on the same out of 100 scale?
Moses Botbol

Re: Rating SQVP vs fully declared

Post by Moses Botbol »

Port is port and should be judged the same IMO. Granted when drinking something old, the storage should be taken under consideration.

I usually find SQVP's to be down a little from the fully declared vintages. Ferreira manages to get the closest between the two for brands I am thinking of; off the cuff.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

As Moses said, you judge a port on it's merits.

If you take the literal definition of what it means to be a Single Quinta Port, there are some that more than hold their own. Quinta do Noval and indeed the Nacional are both Single Quinta ports if you are using the literal definition. Many, if not most of the smaller producers are Single Quinta producers.
And to muddy the waters a little further, what about The Vargellas Vinha Velha or Stone Terraces?
J Jackson

Post by J Jackson »

Paul Fountain wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:10 am As Moses said, you judge a port on it's merits.

If you take the literal definition of what it means to be a Single Quinta Port, there are some that more than hold their own. Quinta do Noval and indeed the Nacional are both Single Quinta ports if you are using the literal definition. Many, if not most of the smaller producers are Single Quinta producers.
And to muddy the waters a little further, what about The Vargellas Vinha Velha or Stone Terraces?
That's a very good point actually. To clear things up, I was specifically thinking about SQVP from non generally declared vintages, from larger port houses. Dow's Bomfim, Talyor's Vargellas (Not Vinha Velha though!), Graham's Malvedos, etc. But you are correct, the waters are a little muddy when you consider Vinha Velha, or Noval.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 am Port is port and should be judged the same IMO.
This. I rate everything on a single scale. If I like it, it gets a good score. If not, it doesn't.
Granted when drinking something old, the storage should be taken under consideration.
No more so than any other bottle. Being old does not give a Port extra points, and you can get a duff bottle at any age. Now if what you're saying is simply that you need to be more cognizant of duff bottles when drinking old Port so that you can potentially not rate them instead of giving them a bad score, then sure. I do try not to rate bad bottles, but being immune to TCA means that I will rate corked bottles unless someone else warns me not to.
Glenn Elliott
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Never changed a rating
Regardless who the producer was or an lbv or a sqvp
That's not to say I've had to change any pre conceived notion regarding a producer.
Have also been on a limited budget since being a member (2006)
However, as a senior member once said : beware, you've just embarked on a slippery slope ...
But then again , what do I know , I used to have peanut butter with a colheita :shock:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Luc Gauthier wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:01 amBut then again , what do I know , I used to have peanut butter with a colheita :shock:
No longer? What is the world coming to?
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

It's been years since the last peanut butter and port tasting
I guess part of the credit goes to Roy [cheers.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .