Happy Easter

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Happy Easter

Post by Andy Velebil »

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter during these challenging times.

Please post what you’ve opened or are going to open, regardless of what country it’s from.

My plan of attack is a 2014 Quinta do Vesuvio Douro wine (I want to see how it’s coming along) and a 20 yr Roxo Setubal (an old bottling of it I’ve had for some time)

Since it’s raining again here (it rained almost all of last week) I may dive in a little early with a bit of white Burgundy to warm things up. We’ll see...

So what’s in your glass or decanter?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Happy Easter

Post by David Spriggs »

I'm probably not opening anything Portuguese. I'm still working through a bottle of Bulas 20 Year Old. For dinner it will be a bottle of 2007 Adelaida "Version" red from Paso Robles.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

From last weekend I still have a little 2001 Numanthia to go with a steak. Not sure if I'll break into anything after that ...
John M.

Post by John M. »

Had a marvelous Dry Reisling with turkey dinner.

Quinta do Portal 10 Year Old White during epic croquet matches and a 1997 Dows for later.

Happy Easter!!
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Had a marvelous Dry Reisling with turkey dinner.

Quinta do Portal 10 Year Old White during epic croquet matches and a 1997 Dows for later.

Happy Easter!!
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Had a marvelous Dry Reisling with turkey dinner.

Happy Easter!!
Sounds great. What was the Riesling?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I also had a Reisling with a pork roast and sauerkraut dinner tonight. It was a 1998 Haubs-Barzen Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Kabinett (German wines have the longest names). It was very good. I'm having a glass of the Quinta do Bom Retiro 20 y.o. Tawny for after dinner as I type this. It's a great 20 y.o.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
John M.

Post by John M. »

Sounds great. What was the Riesling?
2016 Chateau Ste Michelle Dry Reisling (Columbia Valley). Good QPR table wine.

The Dows was nice. Tartish wild dewberry with a semi dry extended finish. Marvelous nose. Moderate complexity.
Any Port in a storm!
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I drank a 1994 Smith Woodhoouse Vintage port over 4 nights - Not so good for the first couple, but pretty nice on day 3 and 4
The rest of my drinking was local - some beers (except for a coconut imperial stout from Indiana), an 11 year old pinot noir from the Mornington Peninsula (which is where I am from) that was probably my wine of the year so far, and I followed up the next night with a 2011 Margaret River Cabernet Malbec that was even better.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I had a couple extra "emergency" bottles opened. 1995 Quinta do Crasto Reserva and a 2005 Niepoort Colheita.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:14 am 2005 Niepoort Colheita.
A baby!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Went with a staple in my house namely the 1982 Dalva colheita (Btl 2013) and also fresh 2014 Fonseca LBV.

But tasty in their own rights.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Paul Fountain wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 am I drank a 1994 Smith Woodhoouse Vintage port over 4 nights - Not so good for the first couple, but pretty nice on day 3 and 4
That Port is a beast!! I'm not sure how many decades it will take for it to be "ready".