How Much is "A lot of Port"?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

How Much is "A lot of Port"?

Post by Moses Botbol »

How many bottles or cases do you consider to be "a lot of port"? This could in terms of one's own collection/cellar or maybe in terms of what a restaurant might have?

What's the largest personal port cellar you know of? You don't have to solicit their name or address, lol.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Re: How Much is "A lot of Port"?

Post by John M. »

Don't know what a lot of Port is, maybe 1,300 bottles. That's a bottle a week for 25 years.

I've only seen a couple Port cellars and have no idea as to how many---just a lot more than me. I bet I have one of the smallest cellars for a regular FTLOPer at about 135 bottles so no matter what I have Cellar Envy.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:50 pm Don't know what a lot of Port is, maybe 1,300 bottles. That's a bottle a week for 25 years.
For my planning I've assumed a bottle a month, but this stay-at-home order has made that less tenable.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I think it is relative. For example, at my current consumption rate I have more than enough Port in my cellar to last at least 25 years and probably 30. At which point I will be 80 or 85 years old. So for me that seems like a lot of Port!

But many here would deplete that supply twice as fast. Some here could probably drink everything I have in 10-12 years. For those people, my cellar probably wouldn't seem like a lot of Port.

But for me, ~600 bottles does seem like a lot.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

On the relative front, my cellar is nearly 2/3 Port, which most people would consider to be a lot.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I would put a lot of port at 100+ bottles for someone who is "into port", and 100+ cases for someone who is a "collector".
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Bill Koch was in his mid-70s when he realised that he would not be able to enjoy all of the wines in his cellar. As readers will recall, 20,000 bottles were sold through Sotheby's in 2016, with Mr. Koch retaining a mere 23,000 bottles for himself. How much port formed part of the reduced collection is not a matter of public record, though a relatively modest 300 bottles of port were included in the Sotheby's sale. One assumes that Mr. Koch does not aspire to drink the lot. The key point, I reckon, is that for all the joy that comes with the consumption of wines in one's cellar, ideally with good company, half the fun lies in acquiring the stuff - much like collecting coins, stamps, marbles and whatever else.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 pm On the relative front, my cellar is nearly 2/3 Port, which most people would consider to be a lot.
From personal anecdotes, I'd say that yes that is a lot! It seems that for most people 10% Port or less is more normal.

You at least drink dry wine. My cellar is probably roughly 90% Port. I might have a total of 4 cases of dry wine for my wife, and those ~50 bottles weren't counted in my earlier estimating. I then also have 2-3 cases of Madeira, which was ALSO not counted in my earlier estimates. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:49 am
Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 pm On the relative front, my cellar is nearly 2/3 Port, which most people would consider to be a lot.
From personal anecdotes, I'd say that yes that is a lot! It seems that for most people 10% Port or less is more normal.

You at least drink dry wine. My cellar is probably roughly 90% Port. I might have a total of 4 cases of dry wine for my wife, and those ~50 bottles weren't counted in my earlier estimating. I then also have 2-3 cases of Madeira, which was ALSO not counted in my earlier estimates. :lol:
'
Mine is well over 80% Port
Any Port in a storm!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

CellarTracker says that I have 985 bottles of Port. Yeah.... that's enough Port.
Overall, my cellar is 50% Portuguese. [cheers.gif]
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

As of this morning we have 631 ports in our cellar, which represents 56 % of the total cellar. The rest is mostly red wines. The total level of the cellar is fine for us and we will aim to stay there in the years to come.
After having had more disappoints than preferred of tawnies/colheitas with long period between bottling and consumption, my wife and I decided a year ago to work our way to have tawny/colheita-bottles in the cellar with max 5 years since bottling year. I think we will reach that goal during this autumn. In no. of bottles vintage represents 68 % of the ports.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I am storing some bottles of port for a friend, so between the two of us there is about 180 cases of port currently in my cellar.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 am I am storing some bottles of port for a friend, so between the two of us there is about 180 cases of port currently in my cellar.
A case as in 12 per case? Or 6 per case? Either way, that's a lot of port.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Here's a fun/odd way I decided to calculate it: I have 12,889 bottle-years of Port!
(Thereabouts. I don't think my few TWIOA are included in that calculation.)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm
Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 am I am storing some bottles of port for a friend, so between the two of us there is about 180 cases of port currently in my cellar.
Yes, 12 per case.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm
Yes, 12 per case.
[notworthy.gif] :thumbsup: [notworthy.gif]
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I went down to my basement because I was curious about how many bottles of Port I had. I did a quick inventory and I have 580 bottles of Port. I also have another 430 bottles of red, white, Sauternes and Sherries, but primarily reds. I figure the Port should last me another 14 years. That'll put me at 76. Looks like I'll need to buy more...god willing. :D
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 am
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm A case as in 12 per case? Or 6 per case? Either way, that's a lot of port.
Yes, 12 per case.
[notworthy.gif] :thumbsup: [notworthy.gif]

It's not all mine, but it sure looks impressive.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Mike J. W. wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:52 am I went down to my basement because I was curious about how many bottles of Port I had. I did a quick inventory and I have 580 bottles of Port. I also have another 430 bottles of red, white, Sauternes and Sherries, but primarily reds. I figure the Port should last me another 14 years. That'll put me at 76. Looks like I'll need to buy more...god willing. :D
An optimist! Good for you. You will live a long life! :salute:
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

My port cellar isn't huge - I'm sitting at around 160 currently, plus another 60 or so " port style" red fortifieds.
Throw in some muscat and tokay/topaque and that makes a bit over 25% of what I have being fortified.
I haven't had much need to keep a lot of muscats and tokays in stock since it is pretty easy for me to just go get them.
Tawny ports, particularly 20 year old plus or Colhietas, aren't very common around me and when they can be found are super expensive here so I don't have as many as I would like