Madeira Book Reviews

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

Madeira Book Reviews

Post by Mike K. »

I've been ready a number of books about Madeira lately. So I thought I'd share my recommendations and invite others to do the same.

First up:
A World Ago
by Maria Mendonça and Edward Lee.

The memoir of a woman who grew up in rural Madeira during the 1960's and 1970's.

A fascinating account of life in rural Madeira, not that long ago. If read without context one could easily believe it was written in the middle ages. There were no roads, electricity or indoor plumbing. Families and small communities were self sufficient, surviving off the land and their own hard work. Day to day activities, skills, and primitive tools had not changed in centuries.

As an adult, Maria moved to the UK and worked cleaning hospitals. She also cleaned homes as a side job. One of her employers, Edward, would sit and share tea time with her every afternoon. Over time she told him many stories of her youth and Edward felt he had to help her preserve them for posterity.

I really enjoyed her stories and learning about the rural culture.
Highly recommended!
Last edited by Mike K. on Fri May 01, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike K.

Re: Madeira Book Reviews

Post by Mike K. »

Next up:

Madeira, The Island Vineyard
by Noël Cossart

From the dust jacket blurb:
Noel was the fourth, and final, generation of his family to manage Madeira's most important wine producer, Cossart, Gordon. He entered the firm in 1925 and managed it from 1936 until 1953, when economic conditions forced him to sell the firm's assets to the Madeira Wine Association.

When Noel retired from the wine business in 1976, his old friend from Christie's, Michael Broadbent, convinced him to draw on his long experience and deep family archives to write Madeira, The Island Vineyard, which was published by Christie's in 1984.

A good additional summary here:
https://www.rarewineco.com/Noel-Cossart ... -Vineyard/

I enjoyed this book a lot. It covers a massive amount of content including a history of the island, the evolution of the Madeira wine trade, and stories of the major wine producers and shippers. Some of this information can be found elsewhere, but much is unique to the memories and family records of a man who grew up in the trade. At times it can read like a reference volume, but generally it’s quite engaging. I learned a few surprising items about Madeira wine making that I need to ask about on my next visit to the island. Every major vineyard, producer, and shipper is discussed - but hardly a passing mention of D’Oliveiras - I wonder if there is a story there. On far too many occasions Noël goes into detail on old Madeira pricing during the 1970’s and 1980’s - bringing me to tears. It's a hell of a book and should be the educational foundation for any Madeira enthusiast.

Highly recommended!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

D'Oliveiras was originally a partidista and didn't sell directly to the public. They sold to the export companies. I had a couple from the Madeira Wine Company that had AO stenciled on the bottle. The initials for Anabelle Oliveiras who started the firm.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Eric Ifune wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm D'Oliveiras was originally a partidista and didn't sell directly to the public. They sold to the export companies. I had a couple from the Madeira Wine Company that had AO stenciled on the bottle. The initials for Anabelle Oliveiras who started the firm.
Thanks!
That could explain a mere passing mention.