What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

5 x 1994 Fonseca VP
1 x 2000 Fonseca VP
3 x 1992 Taylor Fladgate VP
2 x 1994 Taylor Fladgate VP (375 ml)
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 pm 5 x 1994 Fonseca VP
1 x 2000 Fonseca VP
Damn!! Happy Birthday! 8--) Seriously, with all these bottles, will you open one bottle soon?
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:51 pm 4 x 2011 Graham's The Stone Terraces Vintage Port
I have 2 bottles of Stone Terraces stuck in Chicago because i was suppose to take them in a trip but a sudden death canceled the trip (i'm from Montreal). Too expensive to bring them to Montreal. Evertyime i see your post on Stone Terraces i'm happy !?$$# [kez_11.gif] ... for you. :-)
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

LOUISSS J wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 pm 5 x 1994 Fonseca VP
1 x 2000 Fonseca VP
Damn!! Happy Birthday! 8--) Seriously, with all these bottles, will you open one bottle soon?
Lol, thank you. I got lucky in an auction and got them at very good prices. I'll try one of the '92 Taylor-Fladgate's soon as I've never had that vintage before. I will also probably try one of the half bottles of the Taylor-Fladgate '94 to see how that compares to a full bottle as far as maturity. In my opinion the full bottle of the '94 Taylor needs more time.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

LOUISSS J wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:51 pm 4 x 2011 Graham's The Stone Terraces Vintage Port
I have 2 bottles of Stone Terraces stuck in Chicago because i was suppose to take them in a trip but a sudden death canceled the trip (i'm from Montreal). Too expensive to bring them to Montreal. Evertyime i see your post on Stone Terraces i'm happy !?$$# [kez_11.gif] ... for you. :-)
How much is Stone Terraces at SAQ?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 am
LOUISSS J wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
How much is Stone Terraces at SAQ?
There is no Stone Terraces at the SAQ (i have never see one). The regular Graham Vintage (2017) is around 150$.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1977 Smith Woodhouse VP
1983 Graham's VP
1986 Graham's Malvedos SQVP
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

LOUISSS J wrote: There is no Stone Terraces at the SAQ (i have never see one). The regular Graham Vintage (2017) is around 150$.
There's plenty for sale at retail around Boston should you come down this way. A few places had it discounted, but I haven't check them in a while.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:56 am
LOUISSS J wrote: There is no Stone Terraces at the SAQ (i have never see one). The regular Graham Vintage (2017) is around 150$.
There's plenty for sale at retail around Boston should you come down this way. A few places had it discounted, but I haven't check them in a while.
With the family and the job (time), the cash and now the bondary (Canada and USA.. i'm from Montreal) that's difficult for me. I have some cash loose cash now but there is an auction so i need it! [cheers.gif] We will see if all is okay in the same time i can buy some Terraces.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

2x Passadouro 2016 and 2x Vieira De Sousa 2015
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Ordered for my 2 year old son to enjoy later in his life

A case of 2018 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
A case of 2018 Quinta da Romaneira VP

Will add more along the way, but it is a start [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Ordered for my 2 year old son to enjoy later in his life

A case of 2018 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
A case of 2018 Quinta da Romaneira VP

Will add more along the way, but it is a start [friends.gif]
Lucky son!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

7 x 1964 Quinta do Noval Nacional

That's my birth year, so the quality isn't as important as it would be with a different vintage. It's really hard to find ruby Port from 1964, and these were about 1/3 the usual cost.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

That's quite a birth year port to have on hand.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:08 am That's quite a birth year port to have on hand.
It's certainly the best of what's available. As I recall there are only 8 VPs from 1964, and that's counting the Niepoort Garrafeira as a VP. The only one that I don't have is the Dow. The others that I know for sure exist are Graham's Malvedos, Taylor's Vargellas, Fonseca Guimaraens, Ramos Pinto, and Butler Nephew.

Strangely, Butler Nephew also appears to have bottled Port for Vasconcellos but it's thought to be the same Port. That's what my bottle was - I opened it for my 55th birthday and it looked identical to the Butler Nephew pictured in Port Vintages by JDA Wiseman save for the label, which claimed to have been bottled for Vasconcellos while the capsule still clearly read Butler Nephew.

There are also references to Offley Boa Vista and Gonzales Byass in Port Vintages, but I've never seen anything indicating that they might actually exist. Julian has them both marked with one of his less convinced indicators in the book.
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Glenn E. wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 pm It's certainly the best of what's available. As I recall there are only 8 VPs from 1964, and that's counting the Niepoort Garrafeira as a VP. The only one that I don't have is the Dow. The others that I know for sure exist are Graham's Malvedos, Taylor's Vargellas, Fonseca Guimaraens, Ramos Pinto, and Butler Nephew.

Strangely, Butler Nephew also appears to have bottled Port for Vasconcellos but it's thought to be the same Port. That's what my bottle was - I opened it for my 55th birthday and it looked identical to the Butler Nephew pictured in Port Vintages by JDA Wiseman save for the label, which claimed to have been bottled for Vasconcellos while the capsule still clearly read Butler Nephew.

There are also references to Offley Boa Vista and Gonzales Byass in Port Vintages, but I've never seen anything indicating that they might actually exist. Julian has them both marked with one of his less convinced indicators in the book.
Vasconcellos / Butler Nephew are essentially one company. When you visit them in Gaia there is a sign on it that says Christie's. I think that they can use any label they like for different markets or however they feel about the vintage. You can see the history here: https://www.vintageport.se/house/ButlerNephew.php
The Christie’s Port Shipper site is here: https://christiewines.com/
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1976 Krohn Colheita
3 x 1994 Fonseca VP
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

David Spriggs wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:08 pm Vasconcellos / Butler Nephew are essentially one company.
Apparently, at least during that time frame, so was Gonzales Byass. So all three of those are likely the same Port, possibly branded differently for different markets.

Which leaves only Offley Boa Vista as a potential 9th ruby Port from 1964, but at least according to Port Vintages it doesn't seem likely.
Glenn Elliott
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

2007 Fonseca VP (Magnum), another bottle to add to the collection (for future drinking pleasure) of my youngest son (from 2007 or course :-)
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Picked up a couple 1977 Ferreira.