US to PT Travel 2020

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nicholas S

US to PT Travel 2020

Post by Nicholas S »

I'm very confused as to where things stand right now. My understanding is that Portugal is one of the leading European countries in getting COVID under control and preparing for the summer tourism season, however I am reading conflicting information on whether they will be reopening to the US anytime soon.

VisitPortugal.com has an infographic (https://www.visitportugal.com/en/node/421189) stating that "Only the following passengers will be allowed to enter Portugal: passengers on flights from Portuguese-speaking countries, South Africa, Canada, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela, provided that reciprocity of treatment in these countries is ensured for Portuguese citizens." That would lead me to believe that there are no restrictions so long as you can hop a flight from the US to PT.

Meanwhile, the US Embassy and Consulate site states that Portugal is only open to essential/non-tourism travel for US citizens, though that advisory is slated to end today. Plus, according to today's news reports, most US citizens remain barred from the EU.

If anyone can provide some additional insight it is much appreciated. Thankfully our trip is still 4 months away, so maybe there will be progress between now and then.
Eric Menchen

Re: US to PT Travel 2020

Post by Eric Menchen »

The US is not on the list of approved countries for travel tomorrow:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... isnt-on-it
Mike K.

Re: US to PT Travel 2020

Post by Mike K. »

:(

And to rub salt in my wounds, this morning I received an email from TAP encouraging me to take advantage of the great fares and routes from the US to PT.