What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:54 pm
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:3 x 2003 Quinta do Noval VP on a clearance sale.
Love ‘03 Noval!
I've never had any of this in my cellar and the clearance price was ridiculous, so I bought 3. I'll try one in a few weeks.
I'll be interested to hear how they're doing. I bought 14-15 of them about 12-13 years ago when (IIRC) the importer either went out of business or they changed importers, so there was a fire sale on these at $36-$39 each.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am I'll be interested to hear how they're doing. I bought 14-15 of them about 12-13 years ago when (IIRC) the importer either went out of business or they changed importers, so there was a fire sale on these at $36-$39 each.
I picked up 6 from Atlantic Wine back then. I was planning to hold them for longer, but I'm curious too.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm
Love ‘03 Noval!
I've never had any of this in my cellar and the clearance price was ridiculous, so I bought 3. I'll try one in a few weeks.
I'll be interested to hear how they're doing. I bought 14-15 of them about 12-13 years ago when (IIRC) the importer either went out of business or they changed importers, so there was a fire sale on these at $36-$39 each.
What a great deal! Today, you can't even get a high quality 20 y.o. Tawny for that price.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

6 pack of 2016 Dow Vintage 375's at $36 each.

Seemed like an OK price, but nothing to go crazy over. Don't own any half bottles of VP so thought this would be a fun start.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm Love ‘03 Noval!
They changed importers here in the States and the old one blew them out at crazy cheap prices. I bought a boat load.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am

What a great deal! Today, you can't even get a high quality 20 y.o. Tawny for that price.
I bought some 2003 Noval two years ago at € 50, which I think was a good price. At least here in the Netherlands.
But $ 39.... That's only € 35... wow, well done!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Quick stop in a B&M...got a couple of basic Ports for drinking now

2 x Q do Portal 10 Year White
1 x 2011 Q do Portal LBV
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x Quinta do Bom Retiro 20 yo Tawny
1 x Ferreira Duque de Bragança 20 yo Tawny
2 x 2003 Croft VP
1 x 1982 Champalimaud Quinta do Cotto VP
1 x 1992 Quinta do Infantado VP
1 x 2007 Quinta do Noval VP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

2000 Fonseca (375 mL)
2003 Graham (375 mL)
2003 Fonseca (750 mL)
2016 Quinta do Vesuvio (750 mL) (x2)
John M.

Post by John M. »

At Auction

2 x Kopke 10 YR
1 x Bodegas Yuste 'Aurora' Amontillado Sherry

Almost embarrassed by how little I paid...and I drove by Acker's warehouse and picked them up today so no shipping (plus other Ports!).
Any Port in a storm!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

15 bottles of 2000 BoB Vintage Port from Sainsbury supermarket for £20 per bottle. Not sure what it is, but its from Symington Family Estates and it tastes damn good.

Bought them two weeks ago an only got 13 left. Clearly making an extremely good cellar defender.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

7 x 1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port... magnums!
Also 5 x 1985 Gould Campbell 750ml from the same store. Cleared them out of everything they had.

It's not often that you find magnums for less than 2x the 750 price. [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17 pm 7 x 1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port... magnums!
Also 5 x 1985 Gould Campbell 750ml from the same store. Cleared them out of everything they had.

It's not often that you find magnums for less than 2x the 750 price. [yahoo.gif]
I wish I had stores like that around me.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm I wish I had stores like that around me.
Bah, quit your complaining. I order from stores in NJ because I don't have stores like you have.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17 pm 7 x 1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port... magnums!

I wish I had stores like that around me.
It was on the internets. There's not much in Seattle other than remaining stocks of Kopke after the importer moved operations to the East coast.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:42 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 pm I wish I had stores like that around me.
Bah, quit your complaining. I order from stores in NJ because I don't have stores like you have.
The stores are okay, but most of their stuff is newer. Hard to find older stuff. There are a few good stores in the Ironbound section of Newark because of the long-standing Portuguese population, but the prices are so-so. Those stores though don't have an internet presence.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1x 2011 Quinta do Crasto LBV
1x 1957 Kopke Colheita
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:24 am 6 pack of Maynards 20 Year Tawny at $23 a bottle.
I picked up 6 bottles of the Maynards 10 year for under $20. I want to say $16 each?

Maynards is the best deal in tawny available. All are quite generous is what they say is a 10-30 year tawny.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Haven't bought any port in like 2 months, arrgggghhh :shock: A lot of still wine and champagne, but no port.

I think I need to spoil myself to something nice and mature. Something from the 80's or older and VP naturally. Would would you recommend? Within like the range 100-150$. [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Haven't bought any port in like 2 months, arrgggghhh :shock: A lot of still wine and champagne, but no port.

I think I need to spoil myself to something nice and mature. Something from the 80's or older and VP naturally. Would would you recommend? Within like the range 100-150$. [friends.gif]
How come?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com