Caves Vidigal ... Lisboa Casa do Cónego Vinho Licoroso

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Anybody ever heard of this one? I've found it for sale at a number of shops, primarily in the UK. TNs are scarce.
https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/74 ... -Casa-do-C~
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Caves Vidigal ... Lisboa Casa do Cónego Vinho Licoroso

Post by Andy Velebil »

Never heard of it. Looks like they were bottled about 7 years ago.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:39 pm Never heard of it. Looks like they were bottled about 7 years ago.
Astute observation. I now see that date coded on the neck.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

So what is it? A Colheita?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The "licoroso" part literally translate to English liqueur. My guess is that this is a thicker, dark, dessert wine maybe like a PX. But for all I know, it could be more like a Malaga or Recioto? According to the label, the year was very dry with a hot summer, resulting in a good quality wine with concentrated aromas (delicious and elegant, blah blah blah ...).
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Licoroso is the generic Portuguse term for sweet fortified wines. Port is licoroso from the Douro. Generoso is sometimes used but licoroso is more common. Herdade do Mouchao make a licoroso which is very similar to Port.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:06 pm Licoroso is the generic Portuguse term for sweet fortified wines. Port is licoroso from the Douro. Generoso is sometimes used but licoroso is more common. Herdade do Mouchao make a licoroso which is very similar to Port.
Thanks for that explanation Eric. I'm familiar with Generoso, but hadn't seen licoroso.

If it wasn't hot, I would just buy one for $25+ to try. But I don't like to ship over the summer. I could buy one, but I won't get to taste it until it is probably too late to buy more.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Generoso, as used in the Douro, also refers to the allowance the IVDP gives growers/producers to make Port for home consumption. It isn't counted toward their overall Beneficio allocation. Many growers make their own "garage" Port. Sometimes families will bottle them and you'll see basic labels on them indicating the Quinta and vintage with the term Vinho Generoso. Legally they can't be sold. But it is the Douro...
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:22 pm Generoso, as used in the Douro, also refers to the allowance the IVDP gives growers/producers to make Port for home consumption. It isn't counted toward their overall Beneficio allocation. Many growers make their own "garage" Port. Sometimes families will bottle them and you'll see basic labels on them indicating the Quinta and vintage with the term Vinho Generoso. Legally they can't be sold. But it is the Douro...
I believe that I had some Quevedo Vinho Generoso on a past Port Harvest Tour, either in 2010 or 2014? I thought it odd at the time - the label, not the Port - but now it makes sense. We were tasting some old family barrels.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

We were tasting some old family barrels.
Before Portugal joined the EU, the requirement for Port was that the house had a lodge in Vila Nova. None of the family run quintas had one so they couldn't call their wines Port. They were just called Generoso. Once the wine made it to the lodges could it be called Port.
Sigfred A.

Post by Sigfred A. »

I realise it’s a different vintage but you can read my tasting notes and get a recent impression of this wine in its 1991 incarnation at CellarTracker:
www.cellartracker.com/m/wines/507487

EDIT from Moderator: If you have issues using the above link try this one.
https://www.cellartracker.com/m/wines/507487
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sigfred A. wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:19 pm I realise it’s a different vintage but you can read my tasting notes and get a recent impression of this wine in its 1991 incarnation at CellarTracker:
www.cellartracker.com/m/wines/507487
Thank you for that note. I would definitely grab a 1991 if I saw it. I still might try one of these older ones ...