What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:11 am I think I need to spoil myself to something nice and mature. Something from the 80's or older and VP naturally. Would would you recommend? Within like the range 100-150$. [friends.gif]
I'd buy '85 Fonseca, '80 Warres or Dow, but those may not be mature enough for you. I like '77 Warres, but have variation in those.You might find a good 1970 at the higher end of your price range, but those prices have crept up since I bought a bunch of 1970 Taylor and Fonseca a while ago.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:25 am
Thomas V wrote:Haven't bought any port in like 2 months, arrgggghhh :shock: A lot of still wine and champagne, but no port.

I think I need to spoil myself to something nice and mature. Something from the 80's or older and VP naturally. Would would you recommend? Within like the range 100-150$. [friends.gif]
How come?
After 2 months of Covid I asked 3 of my closest wine-buddies from my Port club if they were also sick and tired of just staying home? And jokingly asked if they had any plans the next day or if they would like to visit me in my garden, in safe distance from each other. They all said hell yeah and we each brought a bottle of wine (any type) to serve blindly to each other. We have continued to do so every say 3rd week for 4 months now, with the intention to participate in the Danish Blindtasting Championship in 2021. So the focus has been much more white and red wine and the port has taken a back seat at least in that forum.

On my own I still drink port regularly but I have been mainly drinking the LBVs and Tawnies I already had and mostly purchasing Riesling and good Pinot Noir. But a break from buying port / wine once in a while isn't a bad thing. I think it gives me focus as to which wines I want / should focus on acquiring for my VP collection.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:48 am
Thomas V wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:11 am I think I need to spoil myself to something nice and mature. Something from the 80's or older and VP naturally. Would would you recommend? Within like the range 100-150$. [friends.gif]
I'd buy '85 Fonseca, '80 Warres or Dow, but those may not be mature enough for you. I like '77 Warres, but have variation in those.You might find a good 1970 at the higher end of your price range, but those prices have crept up since I bought a bunch of 1970 Taylor and Fonseca a while ago.
I have 5 of the Fonseca 1985 stashed away and wont be touching those any time soon. Been lucky enough the have had it once or twice each year for the past 4 years without having to reach into my own holdings. The 1980 Dow's I have never had and I know Roy has it in high regards as well as you it seems. The Warre's 1980 I have had more than once and it is a great wine. I just commented on the 1985 brother in Rune's tasting note and that is a favourite of mine. The 1983 isn't bad either. The 1977 Warre's I will get to taste in March in a vertical comparison between Taylor's and Warre's from 1970 up to 1994 in the classic vintages. That crosses of the 1970 Taylor's as well and I even have a backup bottle myself. 1970 Fonseca I have had once and it is top 3 of VPs I have ever tasted. Pricey but worth it.

So of the bottles you mention I think the Dow 1980 is a great suggestion. Though I would welcome additional recommendations.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:22 pm Though I would welcome additional recommendations.
How about an '80 or '85 Ferreira VP?

1980 in general is a good value vintage. Several good ports from that vintage. I can't think of a crappy one from '80 vintage from the big names.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 am
Thomas V wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:22 pm Though I would welcome additional recommendations.

1980 in general is a good value vintage. Several good ports from that vintage. I can't think of a crappy one from '80 vintage from the big names.
I'm drinking an '85 Ferreira right now and it seems to keep getting better each successive night. The first night it was a mess after a 10 hour decant. Too much alcohol that wasn't integrated. The 2nd day it started coming around. The 3rd day even better and the 4th day it's mellow and singing. It's a solid Port and not that expensive.

1980 Gould Campbell's if you can find them. Inexpensive and one of the better 1980 Ports. Young for it's age, but good. I'm also partial to the '83 Graham's. Very solid Port and on the lower side of your price range just like the GC and Ferreira.

The '85 Fonesca is ready now. They're very, very good.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Just bought a case of Vesuvio 1994 [cheers.gif]
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Jasper A. wrote:Just bought a case of Vesuvio 1994 [cheers.gif]
Good port Image
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Jasper A. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:26 am Just bought a case of Vesuvio 1994 [cheers.gif]
Excellent purchase! Provided you can keep your hands off them, they will last you for decades.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

2011 Fonseca LBV - Unfiletered
2013 Magalhaes LBV Port ....a brand with which I am not familiar.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am 2013 Magalhaes LBV Port ....a brand with which I am not familiar.
That's the brand name used by Quinta do Silval... because Quinta do Noval owns the rights to use Silval on labels. [shrug.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I agree. I have had the 85 Ferreira before. A bit tawnish, but very enjoyable. Never had the 80.
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I'm drinking an '85 Ferreira right now and it seems to keep getting better each successive night. The first night it was a mess after a 10 hour decant. Too much alcohol that wasn't integrated. The 2nd day it started coming around. The 3rd day even better and the 4th day it's mellow and singing. It's a solid Port and not that expensive.

1980 Gould Campbell's if you can find them. Inexpensive and one of the better 1980 Ports. Young for it's age, but good. I'm also partial to the '83 Graham's. Very solid Port and on the lower side of your price range just like the GC and Ferreira.

The '85 Fonesca is ready now. They're very, very good.
There was a fire sale on Vivino 4 years ago where you could buy 1980 and 1985 Gould Campbell for 40$ and 48$ respectively. Bought a case of each and now have 1 x 1980 and 4 x 1985 left. So I have had my share and saving the 1985's for a bit longer.

I agree the 1985 Fonseca tastes delicious at the minute. But I prefer my VP's at the stage where the 1970 and 1977 Fonseca's are at currently. So I will save my 1985's 7-15 years more before I crack any of them open.

I am glad you like the 1985 Ferreira. Very underrated house as for the VPs. I dig their feminine and expressive style. Had a 2011 recently. That one will be a beauty in 25 years time.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am 2011 Fonseca LBV - Unfiletered
2013 Magalhaes LBV Port ....a brand with which I am not familiar.
John, you can find the 2000 Magalhaes VP around NJ in the $50 to $60 range. It's a good Port that's drinking well now, but will be even better in 5 - 10 years. It's a really good QPR. Keep an eye out and try one if you've never had it before.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Bram C

Post by Bram C »

Jasper A. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:26 am Just bought a case of Vesuvio 1994 [cheers.gif]
Nice buy!! :lol:
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

One of THE BEST!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

6x 2015 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:50 pm 6x 2015 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
Welcome to the club [friends.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:56 am Welcome to the club [friends.gif]
There is plenty of Vesuvio in the cellar, but I've scaled back my buying of young VP since the 2011s came out. This was a 6-pack for sale at auction at half the price of what I paid for 2011 Quinta do Vesuvio, so I couldn't pass that up.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Vesuvio seems popular...
I just got 1X Graham Vintage 1994 and 1X 1994 Vesuvio at auction. [yahoo.gif]
The price was okay.

My first 1994 Graham but my second Vesuvio 1994 so i think i'll drink one in the next 5 years.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

LOUISSS J wrote:Vesuvio seems popular...
I just got 1X Graham Vintage 1994 and 1X 1994 Vesuvio at auction. [yahoo.gif]
The price was okay.

My first 1994 Graham but my second Vesuvio 1994 so i think i'll drink one in the next 5 years.
Both are excellent. Good buys!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

2 x 1961 Krohn Colheita (bottled 2006)