10 Steps to a More Profitable Wine List

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Very Interesting suggestions here ! This is a must read for any restaurant owner ! :wink:
I was informed about these "10 Steps" by José Tomáz Mello Breyner, a portuguese friend who got it from the Cornell University's Newsletter, which he subscribes.
-Mário-

The wine list is an essential part of your profit strategy, and ultimately, it's about retailing another product on your menu.

More smart thinking and less reverence for industry hype will maximise your profits - if there are myths and mysteries about wine, use them for promotion, don't fall for them yourself. Good display, enthusiastic recommendations and care with stock holdings will boost your reputation and the bottom line.

1. Add short descriptions of each wine. These help sell more wine and can subtly steer customers towards selecting your more profitable items. Check wine labels, catalogues and wine magazines for words and inspiration. While we would love our servers to know all the wines and take time with recommendations, the fact is that most times the list must do the selling.

2. 'Our favourite' and 'everyone's favourite'. People love recommendations, so make sure all staff have them ready to offer. Increase staff knowledge with regular tastings designed across varieties, e.g. rieslings in one session and merlots in another, rather than just the offering of one supplier. The Wine Tasting Wheel from Aroma Dictionary is a great training resource.

Forget wine pricing mark-up myths. There's only one rule - offer great value and charge as much as you can. You may have bought a pallet of unknown but great-tasting wine for $4 per bottle - who says you can't sell it for $22?

4. Avoid comparisons. Most suppliers offer 'restaurant-only' wines - check the quality and choose these ahead of the brands offered at the local liquor store.

5. Create quality 'house wine' offers - not just the cheap choice, but several that have quality and value. It's surprising how easy it is to have these labelled, often in fairly small quantities while you test the market.

6. Check that varieties offered reflect customer enthusiasm. #1 white wine in Australia (and almost the same in the US) is Chardonnay, and #2 is...Sauvignon Blanc. Does your wine list reflect this? A smart list will have differently priced choices for the most popular varieties.

Don't forget to have several higher-priced offers (memo to clubs!). If someone is being taken out for a special celebration or to impress, the host probably wants something that costs a little more to show they care. What do you suggest?

7. Take extra care with wine-by-the-glass offers - if you don't sell the whole bottle within two days, it may be losing you money. How many half-full bottles do you have sitting there going stale? An investment in proper wine-storage technology may be a wise move.

8. Design the list order to maximise profitability. Listing from cheapest to dearest reduces profitability - the first bottle in a section will always sell more, so make sure it's one with a high profit-margin. The other important wines are your second dearest and second cheapest, so choose them with care.

9. Count, compare and count again. Cash, food and alcohol are all prime targets for staff with money or alcohol problems. Spot-checks will remind staff that you are watching and checking. Accuracy in Point-of-Sale use is vital, so close off the 'Open Item' key that's used when staff can't locate the correct key. Take great care with transfers between departments - the Transfer Book can be the source of much sleight of hand.

10. Measure stock turnover and set limits to the amount you hold. If you sell $2,000 (wholesale value) worth of wine in a week and you are holding $12,000 worth of stock, it's taking six weeks to turn the stock - too long for a small operation. Trim your stock-holding and order more regularly. Most operators don't actually know how much cash is in the cellar.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

#3 is pretty anti-consumer...I won't begrudge a restaurant profit...but that $4 wine would probably sell even more at a $16-19 range but who am I to say. All I know is that restaurants that seriously jack up the prices (3-4-500%range) will eventually feel the backlash if the average customer wises up to retail prices (people on this forum and others are much more aware of prices) and with information getting more readily available/accesible via net/blogs/social networking and as more people become more aware of wine the knowledge of the average customer is gonna go up. Word of mouth is pretty powerful.
akira
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Akira
As a 'customer' the trick that sticks in my throat is Number 4. Certainly where I live, which ever retaurant your in, they have wines no one has ever heard of. You just pick a grape and take a plunge. If I want to be conned and over-charged, I at least want some honesty. A wine I know and like, but just pay double or treble for the privilage of having it in the place I choose to dine at. I help run a Golf Club, and against my wishes we do the same. A wine company sells us cheap rubbish, with labels no one has heard of, and the Club makes a 300% mark up. At this point I'd better mention they are making that much profit themselves, that we have wine tastings that are very lenghty! I take home several bottles, but still feel guilty.
Mario, I know the list is good advice to businessmen who want to maximise profits, but like many things, when the average customer cottons on, and is clearly being 'milked' theres a backlash and you can begin to lose custom that will not return.
Alan.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have to say I don't often buy wine in a restaurant or hotel for precisely this reason. As luck would have it I did so only last week when stuck in a hotel alone with no real choice but to stump up the cash. I paid £22 for a bottle of Auzzie Shiraz that I know can be bought for around £5. This is simply ridiculous. I consumed the bottle in my hotel room so there is not even the excuse that part of the cost is attributed to service in a restaurant or hotel wine bar.

I honsetly believe that regular visitors to hotels and restaurants would buy and consume more wine if the prices were reasonable. Next time I visit that hotel I will have a bottle of red in my bag that is 4 times as good as the one I had from them and will have cost me less than half the price - their loss 8)

Derek
Gizzyeq

Post by Gizzyeq »

True an uninspired wine selection does suck but that one actually requires effort on the part of the restaurant to actually spend time/money to taste thru diff wines and make a personal decision...I know between countries its kinda different(and also between restaurants also) but the "Service Industry" isn't the fastest/most efficient at adapting to change.

I don't see (a lot) of them running off to hire Roy or other knowledgeable people to create a nice wine list for them and/or doing it themselves. To them someone knowledgeable would be like their distributor's sales gal :roll:
But the one thing we can count on tho is that (the masses) will always want to get something cheaper...if they can be educated as to how much they are really being ass-raped for substandard plonk...maybe a nice backlash can be caused...
I'm not sure how it is in the UK but little by little here a lot of more places are starting to allow BYO (if they can work around our archaic puritanical liquor laws) not that it will make the biggest of dents tho (aside from in Cali BYO restaurants are more like a little niche market)
it's not much but its a start!
akira
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

akira,

I think it's simple. If the restaurants cut their prices by 50% they would still be making 100-200% markup per bottle.....but they would be selling 3 or 4 times as many bottles so the overall profit would be increased

.....and the customer wouldn't feel like they had been "ass-raped" - which is a phrase I think I will use more now that I have seen it :lol: :lol:

Derek
Gizzyeq

Post by Gizzyeq »

Oh yeah definitely how many times have we all Not ordered another bottle since the first one cost an arm and a leg and your little "dinner out" just doubled in cost....one of my Biggest pet peeves is when the service industry says "well if you can't afford it you shouldn't be eating out"...usually that has to do when your contemplating Not leaving a Minimum(to them) tip of 20% on top of everything...after being told to bend over for the wine its just a little hard to swallow paying 20% of a bottle of wine that was increased in price by 400%...now Thats a friggin scam

Oh and if anyone wants a pretty fun read...this is the link to bitterwaitress.com forums where all the disgruntled FoH & BoH staff go to vent about customers,managers etc. (don't forget to wear your flameproof suit if you decide to post there and disagree with what they say)
it can get pretty nasty in there... :roll:
http://www.bitterwaitress.net/smf/
akira
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I agree, I would buy a bottle of wine more often if the mark up was not 3 times retail. That is just totally out of line to charge that much mark up. Thank goodness a lot of restaurants allow free BYO here in L.A. (or charge a very small corkage).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com