What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike K. »

Enjoying a lineup of 40yo white ports tonight.

* Dalva Golden White 1971
* S. Leonardo 40yo White
* Kopke 40yo White

A great side-by-side, each a very different animal than the last.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Mike K. wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:17 pm Enjoying a lineup of 40yo white ports tonight.

* Dalva Golden White 1971
* S. Leonardo 40yo White
* Kopke 40yo White

A great side-by-side, each a very different animal than the last.
And the winner was...?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Mike J. W. wrote: And the winner was...?
Good for you on calling me out. I was being lazy. Image

This Dalva bottle unfortunately isn’t the best I’ve had, it’s very enjoyable, but flatter than others I’ve had. So not a fair fight.

The Leonardo is as-advertised, silly good. I need to know how Miguel gets this profile in his whites without adding maple syrup.

The Kopke was very different. The nose and entry are on the dry side, but then an elegant sweetness and thick mouthfeel slide in. This is my first time with this wine, I’m curious how it will open up over the coming weeks.

I’m tossed between the Leonardo and Kopke. The Leonardo slaps you in the face with its power and richness with no thought required to love it. The Kopke on the other hand requires and deserves serious contemplation in order to understand it.

Tonight I’d choose the Leonardo, but wouldn’t be surprised if I eventually decide the Kopke is the finer wine. Ask me again in a few weeks Image
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a mini Croft vertical yesterday lol.

1887 Croft Vintage
1991 Croft Vintage
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1887!! WOW! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened a 1964 Pocas Colheita for the Sammamish Port Club's virtual holiday party on Zoom. It was very nice, but couldn't compete with the 40-year old pair (white and tawny) that Sandi and Dave brought from Vista Alegre.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:48 am Had a mini Croft vertical yesterday lol.

1887 Croft Vintage
1991 Croft Vintage
So Moses, is that a rebottling of the 1887? The capsule seems more modern...relatively speaking.
And how was it?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:48 am Had a mini Croft vertical yesterday lol.

1887 Croft Vintage
1991 Croft Vintage
So Moses, is that a rebottling of the 1887? The capsule seems more modern...relatively speaking.
And how was it?
Capsule? There is no capsule on that bottle. This is not a rebottling of 1887. You may be looking at the waves in the glass that is typical of 19th century port bottles. It did have a tarnished silver foil before I decanted it.

Tasted actually similar to other 19th and turn of the century Crofts. Light in color with less heat than in with post war Croft. Drier with Midori and mandarin orange flavors. Delicate with Madeira qualities; not as much acidity though. 89-90 points for me.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

1994 Warres-----oxidized. That's two bottles in a row (last was a 1978 Croft Roeda at Thanksgiving) that have been flawed. No complaints as I have been very lucky--not too many spoiled bottles in my Port career. BTW, the bottle appeared perfect and cork was a little crumbly--makes me think it was in a store standing up for years rather than in a cellar somewhere. I have 6 more so we will see.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:33 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:53 pm

1887 Croft Vintage
1991 Croft Vintage
And how was it?
Capsule? There is no capsule on that bottle. This is not a rebottling of 1887. You may be looking at the waves in the glass that is typical of 19th century port bottles. It did have a tarnished silver foil before I decanted it.

Tasted actually similar to other 19th and turn of the century Crofts. Light in color with less heat than in with post war Croft. Drier with Midori and mandarin orange flavors. Delicate with Madeira qualities; not as much acidity though. 89-90 points for me.
Mea culpa!. The top looked like a capsule.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

2016 Quinta do Vesuvio VP - 750 mL (12/10/20)
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

David Spriggs wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:46 am 1887!! WOW! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Double WOW! Go, Moses! [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

This past weekend I opened a 20 yr. old Quinta do Vallado Tawny. It's a run of the mill tawny. 88 pts.

Yesterday I decanted a 375 ml. 1994 Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha SQVP. This is just starting to round into form although I think it's still a handful of years away from being mature. 91 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:This past weekend I opened a 20 yr. old Quinta do Vallado Tawny. It's a run of the mill tawny. 88 pts.

Yesterday I decanted a 375 ml. 1994 Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha SQVP. This is just starting to round into form although I think it's still a handful of years away from being mature. 91 pts.
I think Vallado makes some very nice things. That said, I’ve had some consistency issues with them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

Jonathan S wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:12 pm 2016 Quinta do Vesuvio VP - 750 mL (12/10/20)
Nice!
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Chamisso 1820

Fermented dry (I think) before fortification, probably bottled around 1900 - 1910 given the bottle style. Light, ethereal, a wonderful nose - still very drinkable..
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

1985 Burmester Vintage Port
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:42 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:This past weekend I opened a 20 yr. old Quinta do Vallado Tawny. It's a run of the mill tawny. 88 pts.

I think Vallado makes some very nice things. That said, I’ve had some consistency issues with them.
Maybe it was bottle variation, but there just didn't seem to be much there on this one. Little to no nose, not too much flavor and a short finish.
I've always been curious about their 40 yo Tawny, but now I'm hesitant after this tasting of the 20.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Viera de Sousa Very Old White Port
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1987 Souza VP. Nice fully mature VP. Wouldn't wait too much longer to open these.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com