1991 Croft Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Kurt Wieneke

1991 Croft Vintage Port

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

I cannot think of a better way to say goodbye to 2020, so we opened this on New Year's Eve. The cork appeared to be a leaker at some point, the IDVP seal was stained and the cork had dried out, had some trouble with crumbling. There was a large amount of sediment upon decanting. I was a little worried that this could have been affected by heat damage early on, but after decanting for about 5 hours, my concerns vanished as the color was dark ruby to the rim and it smelled great. Poured glasses proper around 10pm.

On the nose, hints of toffee, dark plum and what I will call juniper, the palate is full flavored with seamless integration; there is a chocolaty dark side on the back end, and the finish is powerful and very long. I drank this VP about 12 years ago and it was very good then, but it is even more balanced and wonderful today. Every aspect of the '91 Croft is impeccable, we had a glass on 3rd night and it had not lost a step. Power and grace defined in VP. A truly great port and I still have one left. 98 pts :salute:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1991 Croft Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

This is a beauty of a Port! Glad it turned out to be a great bottle for you.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1991 Croft Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

One of my all time favorites!